About Read Ahead
Since 1991, Read Ahead has connected public elementary school students with caring, trusted, and consistent mentors from leading NYC corporate and community partners. Centered around the foundational experience of reading together, Read Ahead’s signature in-school program supports children to develop the confidence, motivation, love of reading, and other skills essential for success in school and beyond. Read Ahead is a fun, kid-friendly program that reaches over 1,000 elementary school students annually. We strive to help our students reach their full potential, and over 98% of our partner teachers say that they would recommend Read Ahead to a colleague.
Remote learning and the unprecedented challenges of 2020 has made the need for Read Ahead more urgent than ever. During the 2020-21 school year, we will run a completely virtual program over Zoom so that we can continue to connect NYC public school children (grades 1-5) to caring and supportive mentors for live program sessions that build connection, confidence, literacy skills, and more.
Read Ahead provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Program Coordinator is the leader and key driver of success at their assigned partner school. They act as an ambassador of Read Ahead and communicate regularly with students, parents and caregivers, volunteer mentors, and school staff. The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the virtual program runs smoothly, that mentors and mentees are supported throughout their mentoring experience, and that program goals are met. The Program Coordinator is responsible for critical administrative tasks, including scheduling, tracking attendance, and database entry. Program Coordinators are part of a dynamic and dedicated program team, who provide resources and additional support.
Program Coordinator positions are currently open at P.S. 1, P.S. 33, P.S. 51, P.S. 111, P.S. 125, & P.S. 130 in Manhattan, P.S. 67 in Brooklyn, and P.S. 92 in Queens. Physical presence at school sites is not currently expected; this could change based on official guidance from the Department of Education and in discussion with Read Ahead and school leadership.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building, organizational, and communication skills. This role is a great fit for someone with an openness to learning and adopting new technology, including Zoom and online reading platforms. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys working with people and is passionate about supporting children and NYC public schools.
Emily Williams, Senior Manager Program Operations
Read Ahead session management
- Coordinate, facilitate, and monitor 10-15 weekly Read Ahead mentoring sessions on Zoom with up to 20 participants in each
- Lead session icebreakers and closing activities
- Manage program technology and provide support to participants, including for Zoom and online reading platforms
Student and volunteer management and support
- Oversee mentor and student enrollment, including reviewing applications, hosting orientations, calling parents/caregivers, and matching mentors and mentees
- Support approximately 100 mentees in grades 1-5 in their mentoring experience
- Manage approximately 150 volunteer mentors, including weekly communication
- Provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees, including formal check-ins
Parent, caregiver, and teacher communication
- Communicate regularly with parents and caregivers over phone, text, email, and/or Zoom
- Communicate as needed with teachers and school staff
Data entry and tracking
- Track and report on attendance and student progress
- Enter and track program data in Read Ahead’s database in a timely manner with attention to detail
Learning and professional development
- Actively participate in team meetings, learning initiatives, and professional development
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Experience working with kids and their parents/caregivers, and a positive, strengths-based approach to supporting children
- Enjoys working with people, and can communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and professional fields
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage time and deadlines effectively
- Openness to learning and adopting new technology (such as email, video conferencing, online reading platforms, cloud-based file management, and project management tools)
- High level of attention to detail
- Interest in remote work with the ability to lead and monitor daily mentoring sessions remotely
- Two years of youth or volunteer management experience
- Experience facilitating groups and group activities
- Language skills preferred for specific school sites: Spanish, Mandarin Chinese
Pay rate: $20 - $23/hour
Schedule: This part-time position is from late August 2020 - June 2021. Hours are approximately 25 hours/week between the hours of 9:30am - 4:00pm. Specific days and times are pending based on program times, which will be confirmed once schools have finalized schedules. We expect school to confirm in late August or early September.
Start date: August 25, 2020; on a rolling basis after this date
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter to Emily Williams at readahead.org/apply. In your cover letter, include why you are interested in working for Read Ahead, why the Program Coordinator role interests you, why you are seeking a part-time job, and any specific scheduling requirements. No phone calls please.