The California Academy of Sciences is a renowned scientific and educational institution dedicated to exploring, explaining, and sustaining life. Based in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, it is home to a world-class aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum, as well as innovative programs in scientific research and education—all under one living roof.
The Development Information Services Coordinator (DIS Coordinator) position guides the timely and accurate processing of all outright gifts, multi-year commitments, gift adjustments, and other forms of support (totaling approximately 5,000 transactions a year) to the Academy (excluding Membership); and provides database support, including tracking solicitation appeals and record maintenance. This position is Development’s primary liaison to Accounting; handling fund reconciliation and contribution support alignment. This role is the point of contact for creating and maintaining standard procedures, manuals, and policies. This full-time position reports to the Development Information Services Lead and works closely with the Development Information Services Assistant.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conducts daily gift operations in Tessitura, ensures accuracy, provides quick turnaround on gift processing, and assists in tracking contributions for the Development department’s fundraising goals
- Batches, reviews and commits gifts in Tessitura with the cooperation of the Development Information Services Assistant; ensuring proper documentation is included with gift paperwork; verify contribution designations with Academy partners, coordinates with Accounting to deposit contributions into correct funds
- Leads weekly check-in meetings with the contribution Accounting team to ensure agreement on gift treatment and overall alignment on contribution policies
- Reconciles revenue totals monthly/quarterly with Accounting to be sure all contributed revenue is accurately tracked
- Develops efficient internal contribution tracking systems in cooperation with the Development Information Services Assistant to inform Development staff of the contribution processing cycle
- Serves as an informed resource to Academy departments for questions pertaining to completing gift acceptance forms, gift processing procedures, and donor recognition
- Runs queries, reports, exports, imports, adjustments, and data clean up tasks in Tessitura
- Trains Development staff in Tessitura and familiarizes team members with procedural resources
- Maintains an inventory of naming opportunities and facilitate donor recognition updates with appropriate Academy staff
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of database software, preferably Tessitura
- Knowledge of Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel
- Attention to detail, aims to achieve deadlines, and able to take initiative
- Able to work efficiently on projects, as well as be a collaborative team player
- Able to problem-solve, prioritize, and complete multiple tasks
- Possess proficient analytic and mathematical skills
- Clear and efficient communication and writing skills in order to respond to inquiries and compose correspondence
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and use good judgment
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred but not necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 75%of the time.
In observance of the latest guidelines from local and state public health authorities, the Academy is temporarily closed to the public. While this position would normally be expected to work in the Academy offices with the rest of the Development Division, under current operations the position is expected to be primarily remote for the time being.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The California Academy of Sciences is a non-smoking facility. There is also no smoking in Golden Gate Park.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at our Career site.