The Chesapeake Climate Action Network is seeking a talented Virginia Director to lead our justice-centered movement — in the streets and in the halls of the state legislature — toward clean energy. A dream job for the right candidate, you’ll live in the dynamic city of Richmond while moving a Southern coal state toward a climate policy revolution.
Join our Winning Team
Step into a leadership role in the climate movement in the increasingly progressive state of Virginia where you will have the opportunity to play an integral role in crafting legislation and building grassroots strategy to build off of huge climate wins in 2020. Work with our diverse and committed supporters as part of a cutting-edge group that Bill McKibben calls “the best grassroots regional climate organization in the world.” The Virginia Director will be joining CCAN at a critical time – a time where poor leadership and systemic inequities have worsened the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, especially in our most vulnerable communities. We need bold action to get us out of this crisis — the same kind of ambitious action needed to solve the climate crisis.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. We envision an equitable energy future where truly clean sources of power — efficiency, solar and wind — sustain every aspect of our lives, and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
In Virginia, we fight for solutions that match the scale of the climate crisis the state is facing. Never has our work been more important as we continue to face the dismantling of our climate and environmental protections at the national level. For over a decade, we have been pushing the envelope of what’s “politically possible” in Virginia, using every tool available – from organizing to lobbying to the law. We helped stop an $8 billion pipeline, weakening one of the nation’s most powerful polluters (Dominion Energy), and we are standing in the way of two other fracked gas pipelines. In 2020, we led the charge towards the first 100% clean electricity mandate in the south.
The Virginia Director will have the skills, passion and commitment to step up as a statewide leader on one of the biggest problems facing our planet in a state newly committed to tackling it. We are looking for a resilient, creative, and strategic problem-solver to join our team. The ideal candidate will see opportunities to build relationships, inspire mobilization, and urge faster and more equitable change to address the climate crisis. They are energized by building coalitions, crafting bold and ambitious long term strategies centered in community organizing, and motivating the team. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this position will initially have to rely on digital tools to build relationships and meet with legislators.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Campaign Development and Management: CCAN’s VA Director will strategically shape and lead CCAN’s campaigns in Virginia. This includes goal and strategy development, translating that work into ambitious concrete plans, and work with CCAN’s field staff to map out the grassroots components.
- Policy Development and Issue Expertise: You will be CCAN’s primary lobbyist in the General Assembly, building relationships with elected officials and lobbying them to support our policy priorities.
- Field Management: The Director will manage and develop field staff, who in turn will build a network of volunteers and community partners throughout the region who are committed to overcoming the power of Virginia’s top polluters and winning climate victories.
- Coalition Collaboration: The Director is the lead liaison with climate, justice, environmental, business, military and other allies in Virginia to build a broad and powerful climate movement and win shared climate victories.
In addition to a commitment to the mission of fighting climate change and promoting environmental justice, qualified candidates will display the following capabilities and qualities:
- At least 5 years experience in a leadership role
- Demonstrated experience building relationships through organizing racially diverse audiences; experience organizing in Virginia is a plus
- Demonstrated lobbying experience and policy expertise; preferably in climate policy and/or environmental justice
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic campaign planning, and leading coalitions; media outreach a plus
- At least 2 years of staff management experience
- Proven ability to be self-driven, while working effectively with a team
- Proven ability to multitask, while prioritizing measurable results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solver; someone who thinks of solutions more than barriers
- Willing to travel as needed, a valid driver’s license and car, a satisfactory driving record and auto insurance
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $60k – $75k. We provide a generous benefits package including health care, dental and vision coverage and 4 weeks’ paid vacation.
The Virginia Director position is based in Richmond, Virginia and, though initially remote, will eventually involve frequent travel within the state and periodic travel within the region.
How to Apply
Please fill out the Google form application, you will be prompted to answer a series of short questions and asked to submit a resume. A writing sample is optional.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. CCAN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce. We value bringing a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives on staff because it makes us smarter and more effective at what we do and, ultimately, we want our staff and supporters to reflect the communities we organize. We are seeking to recruit individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.