The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists is seeking a creative, tech-savvy and data-driven fundraiser with a passion for nonprofit investigative news to be our Donor Member Specialist. The Donor Member Specialist is an integral part of ICIJ’s small but growing development team, serving as the front-line point of contact for ICIJ’s grassroots donors. You will be responsible for overseeing ICIJ’s donor membership program, ICIJ Insiders, a global community of individual supporters from around the world. You will be tasked with managing the day-to-day aspects of that program, which includes everything from answering donors’ questions and assisting with donation processing to designing fundraising appeals and drafting donor-centered communications.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of ICIJ’s individual giving program, and assist the development director in developing and implementing a strategy to grow ICIJ’s individual donor base and generate reader revenue.
- Develop and execute fundraising campaigns through email appeals, social media messaging and direct communications with donors.
- Draft donor-centered messaging, including but not limited to email appeals, event descriptions and invitations, newsletters and impact reports.
- Organize virtual and in-person events intended for a donor audience. This will include conceptualizing event ideas, coordinating across editorial and digital teams, conducting outreach and event promotion, and handling administrative logistics.
- Analyze data to better understand donor behavior and suggest improvements accordingly.
- Accept, record and acknowledge all donations in a prompt and professional manner.
- Maintain a donor database, including gift entry, reporting and cleaning.
- Respond to donor requests and inquiries.
- Provide assistance with other administrative and fundraising needs as necessary.
Your skills and experience:
- Preferably 3-5 years experience in a fundraising or development role at a nonprofit organization, especially with individual giving programs. Demonstrated success running membership programs and generating revenue through membership models is a huge plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong collaborator who can work across multiple departments.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, multitask and prioritize.
- Willingness to think outside the box and be creative.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Possess cross-cultural competency. International experience is helpful.
- Strong technical skills and comfortable working with data. Familiarity with fundraising database systems, particularly Salesforce, and email marketing platforms, such as Mailchimp, is required.
- An interest in investigative journalism and news media.
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) is a global network of nearly 250 investigative journalists from more than 90 countries and territories who collaborate on large-scale investigations on issues that do not stop at national borders: cross-border crime, corruption and the accountability of power. Recent projects include Luanda Leaks, China Cables, Implant Files and more.
ICIJ’s core team is small but ambitious. We are headquartered in Washington, D.C., but we have staff based around the world — New York, Paris, Sydney, London, Dublin, Budapest and elsewhere. The right candidate will be comfortable working in a non-traditional and dispersed office environment with colleagues who work remotely across various continents and time zones.
This position will be based in Washington, D.C. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
ICIJ is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.