The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL – pronounced circle) was founded in 1983 by grassroots activists determined to protect the South Yuba River from dams. Ultimately, SYRCL won permanent protections for 39 miles of the South Yuba River under California's Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. Today, SYRCL is the central hub of community activism to protect, restore, and celebrate the Yuba River watershed. With 37 years of achievements, 3,500 members and 1,000 active volunteers, SYRCL is doing great things for the Yuba watershed. SYRCL is a leader in the Sierra headwaters for addressing statewide and regional issues – challenging new dams, recovering endangered species, addressing climate change and drought, water security and water quality. Together, we are extending our powerful coalition from the summit to the sea.
People Can Save a River is SYRCL's guiding principle. Engaging the community and working with partners has always been central to our success and we are seeking a Communications Director who is a seasoned professional with experience leading a successful team, who is an outstanding writer excelling at external communications, and strategic thinking. The Director will be highly skilled in using communication and engagement tools to advance our policy, advocacy, legal, and scientific work to protect the watershed.
The Director will also be experienced at community organizing, coalition building, volunteer engagement, mentoring and overseeing program staff, and raising funds. This position will directly manage our communications, outreach, engagement and education staff and will coordinate closely with SYRCL staff across all departments.
This position is based in Nevada City, CA. The position may require occasional travel within California (Sacramento and Bay Area). Must be available to work some nights and weekends.
- Provide vision and leadership for SYRCL communications, education, and outreach programs
- Lead SYRCL's River People and Education teams and supervise staff, currently consisting of 2.6 FTE plus an AmeriCorps member.
- Develop and implement annual communications goals and plans in collaboration with other department leads, including establishing budget needs, fundraising and advocacy goals, listing growth objectives, and other department priorities.
- Participate on the organization's Leadership Team and help guide a positive culture for the organization.
- Create and adhere to departmental budgets.
- Ensure effective cross-departmental coordination.
- Bachelor's degree required. An advanced degree in communications, environmental science, or a related field a plus.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, public speaking, and communicating science to the public.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, raise funds, develop and manage internal budgets.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time pressure.
- Working knowledge of today's web, email, and social media platforms for education, advocacy, fundraising, storytelling, and general communications.
- Proven success with media relations including the ability to write press releases and op-eds, organize press conferences and public relations events, and cultivate media coverage by working with reporters and editorial boards.
- Experience managing and developing staff as well as participating as part of a leadership team.
- Strong collaboration, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required in addition to emotional intelligence, and a track record of working effectively across race, gender, sexual orientation, and other social identities.
- Graphic design and photo editing skills, using Adobe Creative Suite
- Web development experience, including building new sites and editing content
Salary and benefits are competitive with other Northern California not-for-profit conservation organizations; salary is commensurate with experience plus 14 days paid time off (PTO), 3 sick days, 8 paid holidays, and 100% individual health insurance benefits.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit: https://syrcl.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=39 No phone calls, please.