The American Sociological Association (ASA) invites applications for the position of Director of Communications. During this critical period in American history, a time characterized by racial and gender divisions, increasing economic inequality, health disparities, and fractious politics, sociologists have an important role to play in helping communities make sense of and respond to emerging issues and events. ASA ensures that the work of sociologists reaches the public and relevant policymakers. This position provides the opportunity to productively influence the current narrative about a wide range of issues in today’s news.
ASA has a membership of 10,000 sociologists who are scholars, teachers, and practitioners. Its mission is to serve sociologists in their work, advance sociology as a discipline and profession, and promote the contributions and use of sociology to society. ASA’s office is in Washington, D.C., but staff is working 100% remotely at present
The Director of Communications reports to the Executive Director and has supervisory responsibility for the Assistant Director for Communications.
- Conceptualize, implement, and manage an integrated content development and dissemination strategy to reach audiences both internal and external to the discipline of sociology
- Lead traditional media relations efforts
- Lead digital activity including, but not limited to, social media, newsletters, and website
- Foster a culture of public engagement among sociologists
- Manage the association’s brand
- Manage a departmental operating budget
- Supervise the Assistant Director for Communications
- Respond to a variety of relevant requests for assistance from ASA members
- Collaborate with relevant organizational committees and other volunteer leadership groups in the interest of supporting relevant activities
- Serve as a member of the association’s senior leadership team and manage additional related responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
Preferred Qualifications: It is important to note that these qualifications are preferred. We recognize that there are several professional profiles that could be well suited to this position. Should your profile vary in some ways from the qualifications listed and you think you could be successful in this endeavor, please do not hesitate to apply.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree; M.A. or Ph.D. in social science discipline welcome
- Significant relevant professional experience
- Relevant journalistic and/or media relations experience
- Experience working with social media
- Experience with website management
- Exemplary writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively translate scholarly material into content that is engaging to non-academics
- Understanding of and appreciation for social science
- Familiarity with higher education sector
- Managerial experience
- Ability to respond quickly to media and other time-sensitive requests
- Ability to work well both independently and in collaboration with teams
- Project management experience; ability to successfully manage multiple projects at once
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is provided.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion is a priority for ASA. We are committed to recruiting a diverse applicant pool from underrepresented groups. ASA is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please submit a substantive cover letter and a resume to Nancy Kidd, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until someone has been hired.