Founded in 2007, The Fugees Family operates The Fugees Academies, and serves a pressing need that is not currently being met by the traditional public education system – the education of refugee children in an environment where their unique academic challenges are understood. Through small classes, high expectations, and targeted instruction, Fugees Academy empowers the most vulnerable of students–child survivors of war—to become independent thinkers and high-achieving scholars. Working as a team both on and off the field, members of the Fugees Family community strive to support each other while working to achieve individual goals. We believe that this team mind-set nurtures and prepares young adults who will be the next generation of international and community leaders. The core design principles of the school include an extended school day, a low teacher-student-ratio, interactive instruction, a comprehensive tutoring program, a soccer-focused athletic program, and intensive wrap-around support services for students and their families. Our student body represents nearly 40 different countries, including Burundi, Iraq, African Central Republic, Burma, and Syria.The Fugees Family currently operates Fugees Academies in Atlanta, GA, Columbus, OH, and Cleveland, OH.
Fugees Family, Inc. and Fugees Academy is seeking a driven communications professional to support our organization during a time of significant national growth. This full-time position is located in Columbus, Ohio. We are also open to contractors outside of Ohio. We are looking for a high-performing self-starter to serve as the Communications Strategist for the Fugees Family, whose mission is to serve the unique educational needs of refugee children. Fugees Family’s vision is to open Fugees Academy schools nationwide and become the national cause of choice for refugee youth support and education. This is an excellent opportunity for a communications professional seeking to accelerate their career, with a chance to lead the strategy, and execution of communications efforts for a rapidly growing and highly reputable organization.
Fugees Family is a national 501(c)(3) charitable organization and operator of Fugees Academy, a network of independent, community-based middle and high schools which emphasize the academic and character development of refugee children. Fugees Academy empowers the most vulnerable of students–child survivors of war—to become independent thinkers and high-achieving scholars. Our student body represents nearly 40 different countries, including Burundi, Iraq, Central African Republic, and Burma.
The organization’s headquarters is in Columbus, OH and we also have a school in Georgia. In the next few years, the organization intends to continue to grow and open Fugees schools across the nation to serve the needs of the refugee population. The Communications Strategist will be integral to helping us build a community that can help fuel that growth while also raising awareness about refugee-related issues.
Chief Executive Officer
- Drive strategy for Fugees Family’s external communication channels, primarily social and email campaigns, with the goals of raising awareness, growing the community and raising funds for the organization.
- Develop a marketing calendar and project plan to ensure effective strategy implementation.
- Manage the organization’s social media channels, drafting content and managing engagement.
- Develop cadence, focus and copy for email campaigns, and manage distribution through Constant Contact (and help migrate potential transition to new platform).
- Draft op-eds and thought leadership articles in collaboration with our founder, tapping into broader global and national conversations about refugees.
- Serve as a co-writer/editor for important deliverables, including grant applications and annual reports.
- Develop other communications collateral and language as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- At least 2-3 years of experience in a communications-focused role, either with an organization or at an agency.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write effectively in different styles, from social media to email campaigns to op-eds in the founder’s voice.
- Digital and social savvy.
- Self-starter who knows how to get things done.
- The ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and comfort working in a very high-paced and dynamic environment.
- Solid organizational and administrative skills with high attention to detail.
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to different cultural situations.
- Commitment to values of integrity, collaboration, humility and candor.
- Passion for the Fugees mission.
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Fugees Family is an equal opportunity employer. Fugees Family is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from those with a refugee/immigrant background, women, and minorities.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should review our website www.fugeesfamily.org to ensure his or her professional goals and educational philosophy align with The Fugees Family. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Strategist.” Email is the preferred mode of communication – no phone calls please.