Context: The COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant impact on maternal health in the US, and pregnant and postpartum women have faced a constantly evolving set of challenges: Access to primary care services has been reduced, anxiety about visiting hospitals and clinics has increased, and isolation and uncertainty have impacted mental health. At the same time, income shocks have hit vulnerable families as millions of people are laid off and lose health insurance.
In response to this crisis, Jacaranda Health, a NC-based organization, launched COVID Moms Helpline in May to support pregnant and postpartum women navigating the changing healthcare and economic landscape during COVID-19. Covidmoms.org is a free chat line to which pregnant women and new mothers can text or message any question about pregnancy or postpartum care and COVID and get connected to local maternal health educators and experts for an immediate, informed response or connection to resources. We have heard from over 2,000 mothers, and are working to build partnerships to quickly reach as many women as possible.
After launching the service in North Carolina, we have partnered with organizations in New York to roll it out to mothers there. We are planning to expand and deepen the service over the coming months, and explore options for sustainability and scale over time.
Jacaranda Health is an award-winning global health nonprofit based in Durham, NC, with a decade of experience improving maternal healthcare. We run a digital health platform in Kenya which has supported over 200,000 pregnant mothers. In response to the COVID pandemic, we decided to adapt our experience from Kenya to support pregnant and postpartum women in the US.
Who we're looking for: We are seeking our organization’s first Program Lead who can collaborate with the Executive Director to steer the COVID Moms Helpline forward and help us reach more mothers through a combination of project management, team coordination, design, and creative analytics. This will begin as a 6-9 month grant funded contract, with hopefully the opportunity to extend and grow beyond that period.
What you’ll be doing: The primary goal of this position is to provide day-to-day program management of current service, so that we can reach more mothers and improve services. In addition, you will help build out and design our service offerings for sustainability. This will include the following responsibilities.
- Lead the management of the COVID Moms Helpline and related initiatives, including coordinating our team of specialists who assist mothers and contributing to their performance objectives, training, and support
- Design and oversee multiple strategic experiments to boost service subscription, engagement and resolutions among mothers in need (from digital marketing to partnerships with other health providers)
- Help set our strategy for program expansion, engaging new partners and improving existing efforts, including in other states.
- Help coordinate and create a program roadmap for technology improvements to deepen the platform.
- Measure impact through data collection and analysis from ongoing program monitoring and impact evaluation activities
- Analyze and share findings for practical use by internal and external partners.
- Assist in building relationships with local and state partners and stakeholders to collaborate on referral and community resources.
We are looking for someone who is first and foremost an amazing project and team coordinator. The right person will have the following qualities:
- Excellent project management skills: You enjoy managing data-driven projects from big to small and are impeccably organized in coordinating teams and executing against timelines.
- Proactive and methodical: You're the first to react when things go wrong, work quickly to triage the problem, and then take the necessary steps to fix it.
- Technical competence: You may not be a software engineer, but you can troubleshoot and work with technical colleagues to improve and maintain our platforms (working experience with tech or startup product management may be a benefit), and have a high degree of comfort with excel and running analytics to understand our clients and our impact.
- Desired: Understand maternal health and love human centered design: You are empathetic to our end-users: mostly pregnant people who are being failed by the health system, and excited about both understanding their pregnancy journeys and the systemic challenges they face, and building services that specifically address their needs
- Familiarity with the healthcare ecosystem: You have some experience navigating the health system, since success will require partnering with established health system partners – state and county health departments and referrals to other maternal and mental health organizations.
- Gain strong project management and leadership experiences in a growing global health organization
- Work with an experienced Jacaranda Health team in the US and Kenya, including a team of amazing helpline maternal health specialists and volunteers
- Opportunity to contribute your time and talent to meaningfully impact maternal and newborn health during this critical time
- Excellent exposure to startup health system innovation
How to Apply
If interested, please apply with an email cover note and your resume.