Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a skilled video producer to join CPJ’s digital team. The successful candidate will be tasked with ensuring the presence of a video component with CPJ’s major releases and producing CPJ research, data, and campaigns in video format to be shared on social media, published on CPJ’s website and shared with content partners. The video producer will work closely with CPJ programs and departments to transform their ideas into compelling videos.
CPJ’s digital team is tasked with tailoring CPJ’s content for social media, distributing CPJ’s research and reports on platforms and via a weekly newsletter, envisioning and executing digital components for CPJ’s campaigns, engaging and growing CPJ audiences, and tracking web analytics among other tasks.
Video editing and production is a second nature to you. You have a knack for using the medium of video for storytelling. You deeply care about press freedom and journalism and follow world news closely. You have a journalist’s instincts and a sound editorial judgement. You are comfortable shooting film. You wake up thinking about how you would create the next video that could make an impact and help set an embattled journalist free or highlight their plight. You are proactive and eager to quickly edit a news video covering a breaking news story. You are an excellent communicator, a team player and you have a collaborative spirit. You are highly motivated and detail-oriented. You are a one-person team but also don’t shy away from asking for guidance and assistance.
The producer would use their initiative to identify opportunities for video production as well as possibilities for growth on existing and emerging platforms to amplify CPJ’s message and research. The producer would take advantage of CPJ’s broad access to the photo archives of the main international wire agencies. This candidate will build on CPJ’s existing digital strategy, but depending on their skill set and interests, they should be able to play an active role in envisioning and implementing a standalone video strategy that enhances CPJ’s impact and the effectiveness of its reporting and advocacy and expands the organization’s digital footprint.
- Responsible for end-to-end video production, including: ideation, integrating compelling multimedia content into reporting and advocacy campaigns, accepting and reviewing pitches from CPJ programs and departments, gathering video elements and research, writing scripts and on screen text with long shelf life, shooting footage (including interviews), choosing appropriate music and sound, editing video material into finished pieces, and publishing them on relevant social platforms and through other channels
- Distill complex news stories into clean and concise scripts to create news and campaign videos under one minute
- Build on CPJ’s signature style for videos and place them where the organization’s constituents and target audiences are
- Prepare video analytics reports, ensure digital archiving and rights tracking
- Define goals and evaluation metrics of videos under the supervision of the digital manager and in collaboration with teams during the planning process
- Superb video editing skills using either Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere
- Impeccable English writing skills
- Demonstrated video editing and shooting experience, including subtitling
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe AfterEffects
- At least two years of experience in a comparable role at a news agency, news website, newspaper, TV network, or a similar organization
- Ability to repurpose videos for distribution on different platforms
- Knowledge of livestreaming encoding software
- Maintain a video editorial calendar and resurface relevant videos with new developments and in subsequent anniversaries
- Coordinate or hire freelancers as needed to contribute video, graphics, research, or other support to projects
- Think on your feet and be adaptable to CPJ’s changing needs and priorities
- Ability to deal with stress and heavy workload
- Good time management skills
- Adhere to tight deadlines and juggle several projects simultaneously
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience in creating animation and motion graphics
- Working with writers and staff whose first language is not English
- Working knowledge of major social media platforms and demonstrated ability to engage on social media
- Proficiency in another language in addition to English
- Ability to understand different cultural perspectives and nuances given CPJ’s global mandate
- Familiarity with AP style
- Basic HTML skills and content management software experience
- Good project management skills. Experience in using a project management software is a plus
- Experience in social ads and Google Ads
$65,000 – $80,000 per year
How to Apply
Please email two previous video works, résumé, cover letter, three references and three video pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Video Producer” in the subject line.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the position
This is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits include 100 percent employer paid health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance. This job is part of a collective bargaining unit represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.