Since 1972, the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law has advocated for the civil rights, full inclusion, and equality of adults and children with mental disabilities. We were pivotal in expanding the civil rights movement to include fighting discrimination against and segregation of people with mental disabilities. Today, the Bazelon Center accomplishes its goals through a unique combination of litigation, public policy advocacy, coalition building and leadership, public education, media outreach, and technical assistance—a comprehensive approach that ensures we achieve the greatest impact.
As a Communications Manager, you will support the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law’s ability to communicate with key audiences about our work. You will be responsible for a broad range of communications efforts, with an emphasis on writing and editing materials, including press releases and op-eds, as well as managing the Center’s website, social media, and events/webinars. The Communications Associate position is a full-time, benefits-eligible position in Washington, D.C. The ideal candidate will be innovative, collaborative and motivated, with at least three years of experience in communications, particularly in earned and social media outreach. They will be highly organized and possess the ability to anticipate needs and prioritize work.
The following attributes will strengthen an applicant's candidacy:
- Strong writing and editing skills, including comfort in summarizing legal and technical information for mass audiences;
- Capability to write and edit op-eds, media pitches, press releases, annual report copy, external emails, and other communication materials;
- Working knowledge of the current media landscape and an interest in continued learning;
- Experience managing, improving and updating websites (WordPress);
- Experience in developing and implementing social media strategies, including creating and posting content on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Skills to aid in the planning of internal and external events, including board meetings, fundraising events, and webinars;
- Basic graphic design skills are highly desirable (infographics, white papers, annual reports, event invitations);
- Highly motivated, creative and proactive work style;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a professional communication style;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple responsibilities at once;
- Proficiency in use of Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team;
- Commitment to the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law's mission;
- Commitment to making communications content accessible to people with disabilities.
Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, public relations, communications, public affairs, or a related field.
Salary is $55,000, plus an excellent benefits package
The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.