NAMI Montgomery County (NAMI MC) envisions a future where all people affected by mental illness live healthy, fulfilling lives supported by a community that cares. Our mission is to connect a community of peers to provide support, education, and advocacy for all affected by mental illness in Montgomery County, MD. Specifically, our support groups and educational courses focus on the following communities and individuals:
- People living with mental illness
- Caregivers of people living with mental illness
- Allies who are supportive of people living with mental illness
NAMI MC's programs utilize the power of peer support. They are facilitated by volunteers who have "lived experience," meaning they live with a mental health condition or have cared for someone who does. Since 1978, the NAMI MC volunteer lived experience and voice has been supporting our community with credibility and empathy not found in other forms of mental health treatment. Volunteers facilitate sharing in support groups and lead classes with a curriculum developed at the national level for all affected by mental health conditions at no cost. We complement these activities with a helpline for individuals to call to learn more about resources and services in Montgomery County to help them cope with mental health-related issues.
Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development is responsible for managing and implementing all NAMI MC's fundraising activities, engaging individual and institutional funders in supporting our work. The Director of Development also provides staff support for the Board of Directors and works in close partnership with the Board Development Committee. NAMI MC's current budget is approximately $600,000, divided roughly between individual, fundraising events, and foundation support.
This position is strategic and tactical, as it is responsible for updating, managing, and executing NAMI MC's annual development plan. The ideal candidate has a clear grasp of all core development components, with particularly strong experience in individual and annual giving, fundraising event management, including walk and gala events, and grant writing and portfolio management. This role requires experience with development operations, including CRM management and budget-building.
NAMI MC offices are located in Rockville, MD, and preferred candidates will be found within the office's driving distance. NAMI MC offers a competitive benefits package. The salary range for this position will be $70,000 - $80,000 commensurate with experience.
Executive Director, Stephanie Rosen
Leadership and Development Strategy:
- Manage and execute the organization's annual development and stewardship plans to achieve annual revenue goals and to generate funding to support all programmatic operations in concert with NAMI MC's strategic plan
- Serve as a staff leader and development liaison to NAMI MC's Board of Directors
- Update existing development and stewardship plans with new ideas, industry best practices, and data-driven analysis
- Ensure a robust gift pipeline big enough to hit annual revenue goals by actively managing two fundraising events, prospective and current donors, foundations, and other funders solicited via proposals, grant applications, multiple appeals, and other fundraising activities
Individual Donor Stewardship and Management
- Engage and train volunteers to help communicate the value of NAMI MC's work to program participants and work to engage the entire NAMI MC community in giving
- Develop creative and mission-centric fundraising messaging that articulates the value, impact, and costs of NAMI MC's work
- Manage and develop specific and focused opportunities, appeals, and campaigns for individuals to give to NAMI MC while targeting new donors and stewarding existing donors
- Partner with Executive Director/CEO to identify, cultivate and solicit individual major donors
- Cultivate relationships with Board of Directors and support them in identifying and tailoring their best development contributions to NAMI MC
- Execute the donor stewardship process (i.e., acknowledgment letters) and other donor stewardship campaigns to connect donors to the mission of NAMI MC and foster a sense of community
- Oversee strategy and execution of NAMI MC's two (2) signature events: the NAMIWalk and the Heroes Gala
- Produce high-quality events while maximizing each fundraising and revenue opportunity
- Recruit and cultivate high-level volunteer event committees
- Recruit and manage fundraising volunteers who participate in peer to peer fundraising activities resulting in revenue growth and achievement of goals.
- Provide effective logistics management (e.g., guest experience, run of show, catering, AV, décor, parking, invitations, volunteer management).
- Advance the mission and vision of NAMI MC, ensuring program integration within each event
Foundation and Corporation Relations
- Manage relationships with existing foundations/corporations
- Author compelling grant proposals and complete grant reporting processes in a timely and efficient manner
- Research and develop relationships with potential foundation/corporate funders
- Serve as the primary contact and manage all groups and companies that are sponsoring and entering into a cause marketing relationship with NAMI MC
Fundraising Operations and Gift Entry
- Design and update a regular progress-to-goal report and development dashboard for the Executive Director and NAMI MC's Board of Directors
- Execute high-quality gift entry and revenue tracking to ensure accurate and thorough documentation of all development activities
- Ensure integrity and accuracy in all records and reports in Salsa
HOW YOU KNOW LET'S GO IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU:
- You are excited about the opportunity to promote NAMI MC's programming and help build a community that cares about mental health
- You regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
- You have fantastic project management skills, with a knack for working backward from deadlines, and can deal with curve balls thrown at your work plan
- You have a keen attention to detail, a love of adhering to organizational systems, and aren't satisfied until you have produced a high-quality work-product
- You possess a high level of integrity and confidentiality and can manage sensitive information about donors, partners, and beneficiaries
- You are reliable and a friendly communicator who reaches out and follows-up with professional persistence
- You are a creative thinker and willing to test out new ideas
The salary range for this position will be $70,000 - $80,000 commensurate with experience.
HOW YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THE JOB:
- A Bachelor's Degree and 6-8 years of nonprofit development experience
- Demonstrable experience and success as a fundraising generalist, with hands-on practice at institutional giving/grant writing, major gifts, annual giving, corporate partnership building, special events, and online giving campaigns
- Experience managing and improving development operations, ranging from CRM management to budget monitoring to gift processing
- Experience working with volunteers of all levels and liaising with contractors and consultants
- Working knowledge of Salsa or other databases for donor and revenue management
How to Apply
Candidates should send the following (with "NAMI MC Development Director application" as the subject) to email@example.com:
- Current resume
- A cover letter with salary range expectations and available start date
- A writing sample that is authored solely by the candidate and relevant to fundraising work, like a thank you letter or a follow-up email after a donor meeting
- An example of another strategic communication to a volunteer or board member authored by the candidate like an example of a program or campaign report that the candidate has constructed to answer a question, give strategic advice, or solve a problem