As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
Do you want to make a difference? Join The American Red Cross, the world’s largest humanitarian network. For over 100 years The American Red Cross has been a leader in the nonprofit world. In order to support our many humanitarian efforts, our organization depends heavily on the support of our generous donor population. As a result, we are always looking for proactive and mission-driven fundraisers with an established track record of increasing philanthropic support through individual and corporate giving.
Now is the time to make a difference! Alaska Region of the American Red Cross is seeking a Regional Philanthropy Officer to join our Anchorage, Alaska development team.
The Regional Philanthropy Officer will identify, engage, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and prospective donors, in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. He/she will be responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross.
Chief Development Officer
- Strategy: Reports directly to the Regional Chief Development Officer (RCDO) and supports them in the development and execution of ongoing strategies for qualifying donors to ensure retention, growth of donor contributions and recapturing of previous donors. Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to support the RCDO in the creation of customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
- Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects with intent to form deep relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal tied to segmented or blended portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develop donor management plans for entire portfolio resulting in strategic, knowledgeable and complex asks. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face to face visits, including preparation of personalized materials. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters.
- Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region’s assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Updates donor records in region and/or district database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts.
- Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising, organizational fundraising or both as outlined below:
- Individuals: Cultivates relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, (if appropriate) using giving societies such as the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program.
- Organizations: Cultivates, solicits and stewards support from corporations and foundations to meet annual fundraising goals within their Regions. This includes assisting corporations in achieving their goals in strengthening their brand, marketing, and employee engagement by being proficient at clearly articulating Red Cross programs, listening to corporations’ needs and aligning programs to their interests, preparing grant proposals, and engaging foundation staff and foundation board members to cultivate and solicit support for the American Red Cross.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree highly desirable.
- Experience: Minimum three years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Proven experience in developing strategies for donor retention growth and recapture and proven success with complex requests is required.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
How to Apply
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.