For more than 20 years, East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy (EBASE) has been advancing economic and racial justice by building an inclusive economy in the East Bay based on good jobs and healthy communities. We address the root causes of injustice, including white supremacy and corporate control, by developing strategic alliances among residents, workers and people of faith to build power and win systemic change. Through our campaigns we develop the leadership and capacity of Black and Brown communities, low wage workers, and tenants. We have an effective and seasoned staff and engaged board who are committed to a bold vision of economic and racial justice and a transformational approach to organizing that creates strong solidarity among people of color, women, immigrants, queer folks, among others. EBASE is a founding member of the Partnership for Working Families national network.
EBASE seeks a motivated, creative and highly relational Director of Communications Strategies to lead all communications, media and online strategies for the organization and our campaigns. The Director of Communications Strategies develops compelling narratives and utilizes effective strategies to share our campaign messages and our broader vision for justice. The Director of Communications Strategies will work closely with EBASE's campaigns and fundraising teams to develop and execute social media, earned media, and digital organizing strategies and will manage our organizational communications. The Director of Communications Strategies may supervise interns and vendors providing specific services to EBASE and reports to the Executive Director.
Executive Director and Associate Director
Campaign Communications and Digital Organizing
The Communications Director will work closely with EBASE's campaigns teams and coalitions to:
- Create compelling campaign-specific messaging and branding. Support campaign staff in developing campaign materials, logos, and online presence.
- Identify and develop communications strategies that advance campaign goals, (i.e. earned media, social media and digital organizing), influence decision makers, reach our community, and shape the debate.
- Manage the creation of creative content to advance EBASE campaign messages and uplift the voices of affected communities and allies, including graphics, photographs and videos.
- Document and support EBASE actions by sharing promotional material before, during and after events and coordination live stream.
- Oversee the coordination of earned media for campaign events and rallies including advisories, pitching, and preparing media materials and spokespersons, and responding to reporter inquiries.
- Develop grassroots leaders, allies and staff as spokespeople to share stories and deliver compelling messages.
- Partner with campaign teams to identify and test text-based communication platforms and develop strategies to reach community members.
Social Media and Communications Infrastructure
- Develop social media strategies and execute plans to support EBASE campaigns and organizing goals. Coordinate digital actions such as twitter storms or thunderclaps by creating toolkits and coordinating with ally organizations.
- Work with teams to develop creative content. Manage the creation, scheduling and regular publishing of high quality content across social media platforms.
- Oversee and manage all EBASE and EBASE campaign social media accounts. Use metrics and data to drive social media strategy, tactics, and messages.
- Manage and maintain EBASE's website and coordinate requesting, creating, editing, and publishing content. Track, synthesize, and report on key metrics to shape strategy.
- Oversee coordination of EBASE's eblast communications in support of EBASE campaigns, solidarity support to allies, and organizational priorities.
- Participate in organizational planning and coordinate communications efforts to support organizational objectives. Partner with senior staff to create and maintain an overarching organizational narrative, ensuring there is a unified articulation of EBASE's work.
- Monitor regional and national press for relevant stories and hooks and coordinate timely responses to emerging media opportunities. Help position EBASE as “go-to” source for media on our issue areas.
- Support EBASE fundraising team in developing compelling narratives for fundraising events and donor appeals.
- Help develop and maintain quality and consistency of EBASE's brand, credibility, and voice throughout all external communications.
- Manage relationships and projects with communications vendors, consultants, and contractors.
Organizational Development and Culture, and Personal Administration
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, internal trainings, all-staff meetings and retreats.
- Contribute to fundraising activities including event planning and implementation, grassroots donor outreach and appreciation, etc.
- Support EBASE's “all hands on deck” culture in which both campaign and development staff request active participation from all staff during critical moments of work. This may include attending community mobilizations, participating in voter outreach, making grassroots fundraising asks or other activities. Approximately 1-2 activities/month.
- Maintain personal organization systems. Complete reimbursements, time sheets & lobbying reports.
- Excellent communications skills, both interpersonally and in writing, and ability to write and edit in a clear and compelling style and to accurately distill complex concepts to clear, persuasive prose.
- Expertise using social media platforms and strategies as well as digital organizing tools to influence decision-makers, reach our community and shape the public discourse.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and lead multiple projects, activities, and actions with competing deadlines and levels of urgency. Ability to balance short and long-term objectives, details with big picture.
- Work well across teams and independently, bringing grace, humor and a can-do attitude.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and racial justice; experience working with low wage workers, tenants and low income communities of color preferred.
- Experience with earned media and pitching stories to journalists
- Experience on campaigns to support workers' rights, tenant rights, and racial justice is highly desirable.
- Skilled in developing creative content for online platforms.
- Political understanding of East Bay cities and region.
If you don't meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. We recognize that candidates who don't check every box can still add value to our team.
The salary range for this position is between $60,000-$70,000 (depending on experience), as well as an annual cost of living adjustment dependent on budget. EBASE contributes 3% - 6% of employee salary towards the 401(k) retirement plan and provides additional benefits valued at roughly $25,000 per year. This includes fully paid employee health insurance (medical, chiropractic and acupuncture) generous vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays, and training and professional development opportunities. EBASE provides an excellent working environment that encourages teamwork and recognizes high-quality work.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by CWA Local 9415.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Kate O'Hara, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include 1-3 samples of your communications work. Please send documents in Adobe pdf format, with "Director of Communications Strategies” in the subject line.
Preference to applications received by November 13, 2020. The position will be open until filled.
EBASE is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative action. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer broader societal discrimination.
Like all EBASE staff, this position will generally work from home during shelter-in-place. In the future, this position will be based out of the Downtown Oakland office.