We’re an entrepreneurial team working to re-shape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy.
We build and grow sustainable local news organizations all over the country, through financial investment, venture support, and movement building.
We are a distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and enjoy the work.
The American Journalism Project is seeking an associate to join its new Portfolio Support team in designing and delivering capacity building resources and learning opportunities for our growing community of nonprofit local news organizations. We are seeking a strong communicator with exceptional project management skills that thrives in a fast-paced, adaptive setting. Your service-orientation, enthusiasm and resourcefulness will contribute to an exceptional grantee experience that leads to ongoing growth and learning.
The associate will report to Michelle Srbinovich, a VP on our Portfolio Support team.
Work with the VP to design and implement portfolio support strategies that are responsive to the current and future needs of AJP’s growing community of local civic news organizations.
- Develop and maintain systems and processes for the ways AJP engages with grantees, including managing support calendars and communications
- Identify opportunities to improve how support is delivered
- Assist in the execution of a variety of day-to-day activities, from drafting and updating plans and presentations to organizing and facilitating effective team meetings.
Promote learning and relationship building amongst portfolio organizations
- Help create and maintain community platforms and products that build engagement with and amongst our grantee partners (ie resource Wiki, Slack and newsletters)
- Oversee the planning and execution of webinars, workshops, convenings and other portfolio-wide gatherings and learning opportunities
- Develop an understanding of, document and help facilitate the sharing of insights and best practices between portfolio organizations and the nonprofit journalism field
- Coordinate the development and delivery of portfolio-wide communications and support services
- Draft and deliver communications to grantee partners across a variety of channels
- Assist in gathering, organizing and analyzing portfolio-wide data and insights
- Help identify, vet and curate information about external consultants and resources
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of resources and knowledge products produced by AJP and our partners (ie playbooks, templates, etc)
WHO YOU ARE
This role is a fit if…
- You have a consultative and service-oriented mindset
- You love managing systems and processes that prioritize user-experience
- You are passionate about local news, keen to facilitate learning amongst local news leaders and get energy from helping others succeed
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!)
- Highly organized and self-motivated, with an ability to prioritize workflow and assignments in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Great project management skills. You can break down large projects down into tasks and take the lead to see things through to execution.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. You’re great at translating complex ideas into simple language for different audiences. Strong presentation and design skills are a plus.
- Strong customer service approach and solution-oriented mindset. You listen with curiosity and get energy from solving problems with and for others.are a plus.
- Strong customer service approach and solution-oriented mindset. You listen with curiosity and get energy from solving problems with and for others.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a multidisciplinary team, even in a virtual setting. We may be remote but we use smart tools to stay engaged and attentive to one another.
- Culturally competent with experience building relationships with and between people from diverse backgrounds.
- Digitally savvy.
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience. AJP is the first organization of its kind and this is a new role, so we’re interested in hearing how you see your skills and experiences translating. We can imagine candidates with a variety of backgrounds including project management, community organizing, nonprofit or foundation program management. A connection to our mission or nonprofit journalism is a plus.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit an application through Airtable https://airtable.com/shrdIyb6wwcqffZ41 by December 11, 2020. If you have any questions please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Portfolio Support Associate” in the subject line.