Shelter Community Outreach Specialist
Objective: Lantern Community Services is seeking responsible Shelter Community Outreach Specialists for daytime, evening and weekend shifts in Long Island City. The Shelter Community Outreach Specialist will work in a two-person team to creatively and effectively engage residents of a men's homeless shelter and encourage them in adhering to Lantern's Good Neighbor Policy. The position will also serve to build relationships with local business owners and other community stakeholders in developing cooperative relationships between the shelter and community stakeholders. Representing the agency to the community requires a strong professional demeanor.
Classification: Non -exempt
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Location: Long Island City
Position Type: Part-Time shift positions that could include some weekend hours. Shifts times will be designated as Days (7:00am to 3:00pm) or Evenings (3:00pm -11:00pm). Lantern staff may be asked to adjust their work schedule depending on the operational needs of the site.
- Part of a two-person team monitoring and redirecting shelter residents when they are out in the community surrounding the shelter
- Canvas and be a presence in specific areas where shelter residents may congregate or cause a disturbance
- Engage and build relationships with local community stakeholders including residents, shop owners and the local police precinct through open communication and responsiveness to concerns.
- Assist with organizing and attending meetings between shelter leaders and community stakeholders with the goal of maintaining a safe and peaceful neighborhood.
- Enforce the shelter Good Neighbor Policy by engaging shelter residents who are loitering or causing disturbance and encourage them to return to shelter
- Assessing clients for need of additional services or EMS intervention.
- Work collaboratively with the Shelter Social Service Team to assist in promoting service goals and escorting clients when needed.
- Reporting all safety concerns and client behavioral issues to Shift Supervisor
- Respond to 311 calls regarding shelter residents
- Maintain daily log of all client and community contacts and other record keeping as assigned.
- Write incident reports as needed
- Prepare reports on shift activities, including client and community interactions as required
- Respond to special requests of Lantern from DHS, community officials, and other organizations
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Shift Supervisor or other supervisory staff.
Required Education and Experience:
- A High School Diploma or GED is required.
- One year experience working in a residential facility such as emergency shelter, transitional housing or supportive housing is required.
- Experience working with chronically homeless, mentally ill, substance abusing or HIV population is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; high level of maturity and reliability
- Professional demeanor in representing Lantern Community Services to the community
- Must be adept and comfortable with crisis intervention and willing to be trained in trauma informed methods of de-escalation such as Safe Crisis Management.
- Basic Computer skills
- Experience providing community outreach or organizing is preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Work Environment: This job operates in a homeless shelter and works with a population who may experience mental illness, substance use, disability, HIV/AIDS, and other chronic illnesses.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, climb stairs and/ or kneel. They must also use hands to type, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.