Position: Bilingual Student Zone Helper
Job Type: Seasonal Part-time (August June)
Location: Los Angeles
At PowerMyLearning, we believe that students are most successful when supported by a triangle of strong learning relationships between students, teachers, and families. We partner with schools and districts nationwide to transform teaching and family engagement through innovative coaching and workshops, and through our award-winning digital platform, PowerMyLearning Connect. As a non-profit, PowerMyLearning is especially committed to students from low-income communities, students with learning differences, and English Language Learners. Learn more by visiting powermylearning.org.
Student Zone Helpers assists students in completing their own homework assignments and schoolwork by utilizing a variety of digital resources provided by the Los Angeles Public Library, PowerMyLearning, and the school or district which the student attends. While physical library branches are closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all support is provided virtually through GoToMeeting from the Student Zone Helper's place of residence. Students sign up for their preferred homework help sessions via an embedded calendar on the lapl.org website and are connected with a Student Zone Helper via GoToMeeting at the time of their session appointment. Student Zone Helpers provide 12 hours of homework help sessions each week based on their availability from the following hours:
- Monday through Thursday 6 - 9 p.m.
Actual hours will vary based on individual Student Zone Helper schedules and student demand.
Student Zone Helper is responsible for:
- Providing virtual assistance with homework, projects and general school work for K-12 students
- Track services provided to students after each shift and submit monthly summary reports to PowerMyLearning and the Los Angeles Public Library
- Following up with Los Angeles Public Library or PowerMyLearning staff to gather any student-requested resources after homework help sessions
- Collaborating with other Student Zone Helpers to help solve technical or other challenges
- Continuously sharing ideas for how to improve the online support experience for students
- Passion for PowerMyLearning's mission
- High school diploma
- Passion for helping students succeed academically
- Reliable access to a computer
- Reliable internet access
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Google platforms (i.e. Google Docs, Drive, Sheets, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent history of attendance and on-time performance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to create a positive learning atmosphere online
- Ability to maintain a regular schedule
- Ability to work well with teens and children
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Teamplayer who is also capable of working independently or with minimal oversight
- Bilingual Spanish/English or other language
- Experience working with children and families
- Experience with online scheduling platform such as Calendly and an online meeting platform such as GoToMeeting
Qualified candidates can apply by visiting https://powermylearning.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerMyLearning is committed to building a diverse team of staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color.
How to Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.