At the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® Inc. (SFI), we believe that sustainable forests are critical to our collective future. SFI® is a sustainability leader through our work in standards, conservation, community, and education. As an independent, non-profit organization, we collaborate with our diverse network to provide solutions to local and global sustainability challenges. SFI works with the forest sector, brand owners, conservation groups, resource professionals, landowners, educators, local communities, Indigenous Peoples, governments, and universities. SFI Inc. is governed by an independent three-chamber board of directors representing environmental, social, and economic sectors equally.
As a member of the Finance and Operations department, the Human Resources Coordinator supports human resources functions and services for employees based in the U.S. and Canada and performs administrative office functions at SFI’s D.C. headquarters. This role assists the Senior Operations Manager with hiring new staff, onboarding new hires, administering benefits, maintaining HR files, and answering internal and external inquiries. The Human Resources Coordinator resolves payroll and benefit-related problems and ensures effective use of plans and positive employee relations. This role ensures that certain plans are administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and that plan provisions are followed. The Human Resources Coordinator provides administrative support to the human resource function as needed, including record-keeping, file maintenance and human resources.
Supervisor: Senior Manager, Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides services to employees by answering employee requests and questions.
- Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record-keeping and proper deductions.
- Reconciles applicable payroll and benefits statements and recommends any corrective actions.
- Supports HR compliance and report maintenance.
- Manages administration of timekeeping system.
- Supports employee on-boarding, enrollments, and terminations.
- Assists with the recruitment and interview process.
- Maintains employee HR files including background checks, I-9 documentation, memos to file, and general maintenance.
- Assists with the compilation of annual performance reviews.
- Assists with 401(k) non-discrimination testing and preparation of the form 5500.
- Assists or prepares correspondence and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Handles various inner-office tasks such as processing the mail, keeping suite clean and professional, maintaining the photocopy machine, handling & filing documents, procuring supplies, and other clerical functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The Human Resources Coordinator will initially work remotely due to COVID-19 but will be expected to report to the downtown Washington, D.C. office when in-person business functions resume. This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and printers.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- Physical requirements include ability to work from a desk at a computer for prolonged periods of time; occasional lifting/carrying of up to 15 pounds. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires occasional domestic and/or international (Canada) travel, up to 5% of time.
- Working understanding of human resources principles, practices, and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge and skills
- Experience using Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Unquestionable integrity, professionalism, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, viewed by colleagues as professionally accessible and willing to help
- Excellent organizational skills, with close attention to detail and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive in dealing with issues that may arise
- Ability and willingness to provide support across the organization, and is seen as accommodating and service-oriented
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently in a fast-pace environment, handling tasks with diplomacy, tenacity, patience, and a drive for results
- 1-2 years human resources experience and knowledge
- Experience using Zoom, or related software
- SHRM-CP certification
How to Apply
To apply for this position, email a resume and cover letter to the attention of Julia Hershberger, Sr. Operations Manager, at email@example.com. Subject line should say “Application: Human Resources Coordinator”. Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2021, or until the position is filled.