The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
Please submit your application here: https://grnh.se/cc584b321us
Title: Associate / Specialist, Strategic Partnerships
Location: San Francisco or Remote
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every person on the planet. The Strategic Partnerships team engages with technology companies, educational institutions, governments, and open-source allies to advance the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia movement. Our team supports WMF’s Product, Technology, Communications, and Legal departments to advance their goals through partnerships. We have ambitious goals at the foundation, and we realize we cannot achieve them on our own. To ensure free knowledge for everyone we must build strategic partnerships with aligned organizations.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a passionate and collaborative Partnerships Specialist to join our team. The core purpose of this job is to support the Partnerships team in identifying, designing, and managing external partnerships, particularly those focused on content access and equity in emerging markets. The ideal candidate will have experience with project management, stakeholder engagement, and collaborative decision making. As a member of the team, you will:
- Identify, secure, and manage content contribution partnerships with aligned entities, including open-source organizations, non-profits, GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives, and museums) organizations, educational institutions, international networks and institutions, and other mission-aligned stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other teams and departments in the Foundation (i.e., Community Engagement, Communications, Product & Technology teams, etc.) to develop and support the programs that require cross-functional resources and expertise.
- Represent our team and particularly our programmatic work to multiple audiences, including our communities, partners and Foundation staff.
- Support the Partnerships team with critical knowledge management and strategic administration tasks, including keeping our team’s written communication up-to-date to both internal and external audiences, including on-wiki, partners portal, and mailing lists; drafting relevant documentation (e.g.,. case studies, event applications, introductory materials to potential partners, etc); supporting our events and travel planning by keeping track of relevant events/conferences happening across the globe; and other duties as needed.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills - We’re looking for someone who can clearly convey the mission of the Foundation and the movement to potential partners, and spark excitement about collaboration with the Foundation.
- Relationship-builder - We’re looking for someone with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at multiple levels and across industries. Ideally, you love meeting new people and working with them to identify new ways of working together.
- Strong facilitation, problem-solving, and decision-making skills - this role will balance multiple stakeholders, both within the organization (spanning across Community Engagement, Communications, and Product) and outside of it. To excel in this role you must be able to work cross-functionally and cross-culturally and be able to identify simple solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Structured thinking and orientation towards action - We’d like you to be able to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths while managing multiple priorities and deadlines. Ideally, you marry your strategic mindset with an orientation towards delivering results.
- Mission-driven - we’re looking for someone with a passion for reducing the access-to-knowledge gap and increasing global knowledge equity.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Global perspective, with significant experience living or working internationally
- Experience working with online communities, particularly as part of the free culture movement.
- Passion for or experience contributing to Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects.
When submitting, please include a Cover Letter detailing your interest level in the Wikimedia Foundation and also this role.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
How to Apply
Please submit your application here: https://grnh.se/cc584b321us