Girls for Gender Equity (GGE) is an intergenerational organization committed to the physical, psychological, social, and economic development of girls and women. Through education, organizing and physical fitness, GGE encourages communities to remove barriers and create opportunities for girls and women to live self-determined lives.
We are seeking a full-time Director of Operations to join our team. This is a remarkable new position for an effective and experienced leader in social justice organizations with a focus and commitment to anti-racist, feminist/womanist/queer and/or youth development work. The Director of Operations is responsible for increasing GGE’s capacity to fulfill its mission and manage its operations efficiently and effectively, serving as a senior-level thought partner, mentor, and leader for the organization. The Director of Operations will oversee all of the financial and administrative operations of GGE including human resources, IT, and office services as well as legal and insurance issues. The Director of Operations will supervise GGE’s Office Manager and is responsible for the oversight of consultants.
Organization Development and Human Resources
- Maintain employee policies, procedures, and programs, including onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, performance evaluations completed, and sound human resources practices are in place.
- Work with our PEO to negotiate and implement benefits.
- Facilitate the personal and professional growth of staff and management – assessing individual and team strengths, identifying skills gaps and implementing leadership development plans to build GGE’s internal capacity.
- Work with Executive Director to drive organizational development, including analysis and implementation of priorities, partnerships, and infrastructure needs.
Finance and Development
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Director of Institutional Giving to drive annual budgeting process and monitor budget goals throughout the year.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting operations, including maintenance of the general ledger and grant and revenue accounting functions.
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance with city, state, and federal non-profit regulations as well as reporting and yearly tax/information filings such as the 990.
- Oversight of GGE’s Accountant and Bookkeeper.
- Monitor budget and financial controls in accordance with approved policies
- Work with Development to track fundraising progress and prepare financial reports for foundations and other contributors as needed.
- Ensure that staff are trained on relevant accounting policies and procedures and hold staff accountable for adherence to such policies and procedures.
- Committed to advancing GGE’s mission and work;
- Highly organized, self-motivated, independent worker who can prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects at once;
- Creative problem-solver who anticipates challenges and seizes opportunities for collaboration;
- Able to implement vision, think strategically, exercise good judgment, and lead change;
- Initiative-taker with a strong work ethic and efficient, results-oriented approach; and
- Possesses high level of self-awareness and ability to give and receive feedback well;
- Stellar communication skills;
- Impeccable attention to detail, systems, and processes;
- Flexible, able to shift priorities and maintain sense of perspective;
- Strategic and results oriented collaboration with executive team; and
- Familiarity, comfort, and ability to thrive within a small, dynamic team environment.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 5 years in a senior management position in nonprofit organizations, philanthropic foundations, and/or government agencies.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field preferred; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Demonstrated experience with budget management ($1.5M), experience with internal controls and non-profit accounting practices; Familiarity with FundEZ or other fund accounting systems preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in various aspects of HR, including benefits, compensation, compliance, and employee relations;
- Supervision experience; experience mentoring staff and supporting professional and leadership development;
- Direct experience and cultural competence working within/with organizations supporting the advancement of cis and trans girls and women of color and LGBQI youth in a social justice context
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience including full health care benefits and paid vacation.
How to Apply
For employment consideration, the optimal way to contact us is via e-mail.
All applications must include (in PDF format):
- Thoughtful cover letter (including how you became aware of this opportunity: job
- portal, referral, etc.)
- Desired salary range
No phone calls or snail mail, please.
E-mail applications to: JoinTheTeam@ggenyc.org
Subject Line: Director of Operations/YOUR NAME
Application deadline is Monday, January 8, 2018 at 5:00pm, EDT