Scheduled to open in early 2019 on the west side of Manhattan where the High Line meets Hudson Yards, The Shed will be the first multi-arts center designed to commission, produce, and present all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. From hip hop to classical music, visual art to literature, film to theater and dance, with collaborations across these disciplines and others, we will bring together leading artists from all art forms under one roof. The Shed will be driven by experimentation, innovation, and collaboration.
The Shed will be a place of significant cultural and societal impact, where the world's leading artists and creative minds can make art that helps forge tomorrow's world, and where audiences from all walks of life can experience this art together
The Shed seeks a Director of Individual Giving to work as a member of a highly accomplished and skilled team. The Director of Individual Giving will report to the Chief Development Officer and will be the responsible for overseeing the individual donor program at The Shed. Specifically, this role will be responsible for management and oversight of the major gifts and membership fundraising team, development of strategies for qualified prospects, solicitation of donors to the current capital campaign and build programmatic support for the artistic vision, and stewardship of existing and new donors alike.
The ideal candidate has a track record of success in heading donor programs and heading an individual giving team. S/he must have familiarity with creating and advancing planning and solicitation strategies to build and maintain a robust individual giving revenue stream.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospects and manage communications with portfolio through face-to-face cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship meetings.
- Coordinate the development of solicitation strategy for key prospects and advance the internal planning needed to support those efforts, ensuring that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Lead the effort to track all individual giving, including board giving.
- Oversee a team of four in the advancement of the individual giving program at The Shed.
- Support the development and implementation of a moves management approach to the major gift fundraising effort.
- Expand the major gift prospect pool by building relationships, identifying new potential candidates, and acting on data and prospect research.
- Develop prospects and create cultivation and solicitation strategies in support of The Shed’s artistic program, membership program, planned giving, and other giving mechanisms.
- Support the fundraising efforts of high-level volunteers, including the Board of Directors and leadership staff in securing new and renewed gifts.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to program and run high level giving programs to engage and recognize our largest donors.
- Conceive of and execute a dynamic calendar of cultivation and stewardship events that engage donors and prospects in the organization’s mission and program.
- Write and track all communications, including proposals for significant individual solicitations and contact reports following all meetings with donors and prospects.
- Oversee timely gift processing and acknowledgment of individual major gifts.
- Help manage the creation of the database, and ensure record-keeping is strategic and consistent.
- Develop annual budgets and lead the goal setting process for the Individual Giving revenue.
- Strategically grow the major gifts staff and manage the expanding team as appropriate.
- Maintain integrity, donor trust, and confidentiality at all times.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 8-10 years of fundraising experience at a nonprofit cultural organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate professionally and effectively with volunteers, colleagues, and donors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to uphold fundraising ethics and respect confidentiality of donor information
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a highly motivated, energetic team
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and work well under pressure
- Ability to uphold The Shed's mission and goals, and interest in performing and visual arts, design, and technology desirable
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to HR@THESHED.ORG with "Director of Individual Giving" in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.