Innovations for Poverty Action is seeking an experienced Monitoring and Evaluation Engagement Manager to develop and oversee the delivery of a portfolio of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) advisory services to startup IPA’s Right-Fit M&E Unit.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a global research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. As its core business, IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. IPA has conducted hundreds of randomized evaluations across sectors, learning both whether programs work, and how they can work better.
Complementing this core business, the Right-Fit M&E Unit at IPA is a new effort aimed at helping organizations build strong and tailored Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems, which balance the need for information on impact with operational data to support management decisions. In close collaboration with IPA’s sector programs and country office teams worldwide, the unit will provide consulting and direct services to implementers, donors, and governments, with the goal of helping them figure out what reliable data and evidence to gather, how to do it in a cost-effective way, and how to make the promise of data-informed programmatic decisions a reality.
As the M&E Engagement Manager, you will report directly to the Director of the Right-Fit M&E Unit. Together, you will lead the start-up phase of that Unit, and position it for its ambitious 3-year growth plan. Specifically, as the M&E Engagement Manager you will:
- Lead the execution of a portfolio of consulting engagements, as the primary interface for a wide range of clients –NGOs, governments, private companies, donors, etc.
- Work closely with clients to develop tailor-made solutions for their MEL needs, and support their implementation
- Design and facilitate external MEL workshops and trainings
- In partnership with IPA’s country office teams worldwide, lead the design, implementation, write-up and presentation of various types of studies and analysis for a variety of organizations, keeping an eye on quality, budget and timelines.
- Advise IPA country teams and their RCT implementing partners on monitoring systems beyond impact evaluations
- As the Unit grows, oversee Program Associates working on various engagements
- Participate in the development and ongoing adaptation of the strategy of the Unit
- Take an active role in the development of new engagements for the Unit
- Master’s degree in development economics, international public policy, or a related field. MBAs also encouraged.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Expertise and significant hands-on experience designing and managing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in MEL methodologies.
- Familiarity with the concepts surrounding the Theory of Change and the challenges surrounding causal attribution.
- Superior analytical, quantitative and conceptual thinking skills.
- Strong client facing and presentation skills.
- Ability to present information in a structured and insightful way, both in writing and orally.
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset, versatility and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Experience working in developing countries.
- Passion for making data-driven decision making a reality in the development sector.
Preferred additional qualifications
- Prior experience in a management consultancy
- Expertise in more than one subsector of international development (health, education, agriculture, financial inclusion, economic growth, environment, governance etc.)
- Experience working on both quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- Familiarity with debates around M&E and the use of evidence.
- Familiarity with RCTs.
- Knowledge of a statistical package (STATA preferred).
- Working knowledge of Spanish (preferred) and/or French.
- Experience in capacity development and the conduct of trainings.