BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Marketing Manager, Development is BAM’s lead marketer for fundraising initiatives, including membership and patron renewals, acquisition, and cultivation and special events such as BAM’s annual gala. A member of BAM’s marketing team, the position reports to the Director of Audience Development & Marketing and works closely with colleagues in the Development division, particularly the Membership, Patron and special events teams. The Marketing Manager is responsible for creating and executing multi-channel campaigns, with an emphasis on direct response. The incumbent also provides marketing support for BAM Visual Art fundraising and programming; end of year campaign; and other special fundraising initiatives.
Director of Audience Development & Marketing
- Execute multi-channel direct response marketing campaigns, including membership and patron renewals, acquisition, and end of year fundraising campaigns.
- Manage the development of data-driven direct mail and digital strategies. Plan across multiple channels to reach optimal response rates while minimizing cost.
- Work closely with the Associate Director, Operations & Analytics and Director of Membership & Development Operations to optimize the integration of telefundraising in conjunction with print and digital campaigns.
- Craft strategies for member acquisition, activation, retention, and ticket sales through customer segmentation and database analysis and testing.
- Provide strategic input to help ensure contribution revenue reaches yearly goal.
- Collaborate with Associate Director, Operations & Analytics to create, manage, and monitor ongoing reports to evaluate efficacy, across channels, for all campaigns and to investigate revenue focused research and analytics questions.
- Articulate sound messaging strategies within seasons and/or campaigns that integrate both customer and show insights.
- Manage all Development content and functionality updates on BAM.org.
- Ensure all print, digital, and onsite member communications are consistent and meet stated objectives.
- Manage Development Department’s marketing calendar and relationship with Creative Services.
- Ensure project deadlines are met through management of internal and external needs and requirements, including internal approval process.
- Serve as the lead marketer for special fundraising initiatives, as assigned.
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in marketing or fundraising, with experience in direct response
- Able to identify insights that motivate giving and translate them into compelling marketing materials
- Experience with email marketing and familiarity with best practices
- Working knowledge of Tessitura a plus
- Familiar with planning and assessing marketing performance across digital and direct response channels, including direct mail, web, mobile, email, and social
- Experience interpreting and analyzing web analytics data
- Strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Passion for the arts and/or nonprofit sector, and an interest in BAM
Success Factors and Behavioral Characteristics
- Clearly articulates marketing objectives and collaborates effectively with creative teams
- A team player who is tactful, flexible and able to understand and balance a variety of considerations and perspectives
- Thinks creatively and identifies opportunities for improvement
- Strong consensus builder who uses data to form opinions and persuade others to change
- Able to translate complex data into actionable information
- Takes initiative and holds self and others accountable for meeting deadlines
- Fastidious attention to detail and quality assurance