Blessings in a Backpack (BIB) mobilizes communities, individuals and resources to provide food on the weekends for elementary school children across America who might otherwise go hungry. Each week of the school year, BIB and its thousands of volunteers and partners send a bag of food home with children who, during the week, are fed by the free and reduced meal program.
Blessings in a Backpack (BIB) seeks a take-charge, self-starter to lead expansion of its Individual Giving program. The Associate Director, Individual Giving will have overall responsibilities for implementing BIB’s individual donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategy.
Chief Fund Development Officer
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead BIB’s national individual giving efforts, including the annual fund campaign, monthly giving program, giving society, and Giving Tuesday campaign.
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer, define and then achieve or exceed donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship metrics.
- As needed, prepare briefing documents for the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Development Officer, and national board members to prepare participants in cultivation, solicitation, and recognition visits.
- Working with other BIB team members, prepare high quality proposals, reports, acknowledgements and other donor communications.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Development Officer and colleagues in Marketing to plan and implement targeted and effective outreach and communication activities to expand the size of the prospective donor pool and increase the level of financial support.
- Working with Marketing and other FD team members, steward donors through the year with various communications.
- Maintain donor records, notes, and action items in RE/NXT donor database.
- Complete monthly revenue reports, projections and other dashboards as needed on national individual giving for board meetings and other purposes.
- As needed, prepare tools or trainings for managing directors or volunteer program coordinators to use to cultivate, solicit, and steward their individual donors.
- Support national board members with their fundraising efforts as needed.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with a proven track record soliciting support from individual donors, including moving donors up the giving ladder and securing major gifts; experience working with a Board; outstanding oral and written communication skills; data analytical skills; and the desire to make an impact on the lives of food insecure children in at fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Bachelor level degree.
- Minimum seven years of fundraising experience with a focus on individual giving.
- Experience in developing fundraising priorities and strategies. Developed and implemented a strategic approach for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donors and donor prospects with proven success in acquiring gifts in the range of $1,000 to $50,000.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communications skills both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of donor database (Raisers Edge preferred) and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience in donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude.
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills.
- Campaign experience.
- Higher education and training/certificate in non-profit focus.
- Ability to work at some evening/weekend events
- Ability to travel nationally as needed, approximately 6-12 times a year.
- Position is located in Chicago, IL.
How to Apply
For consideration, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that highlights your experience as it relates to this position, your desire to work for Blessings in a Backpack, and salary requirements. Submissions that do not include all three requirements will not be considered. Please address your cover letter to Erin Kerr, Chief Fund Development Officer and submit materials to email@example.com
Due to the volume of submissions, unfortunately, we can only contact applicants who have been successfully shortlisted for this role.
It is our policy as an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer to provide to all qualified persons and to administer all aspects and conditions of employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military service in employment, marital status, genetic information, parental status, pregnancy, and/or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.