American Prairie Reserve is working to create a wildlife reserve on the Northern Great Plains of northeastern Montana. This reserve is being designed for visitors around the world to experience spectacular wildlife and to protect one of the world’s most important and imperiled ecosystems.
In conjunction with members of the marketing team, develop, manage, and coordinate strategies and initiatives to positively influence public perception of APR and to increase awareness of and excitement for American Prairie Reserve’s mission. Support American Prairie Reserve’s efforts to create a strong local, state, national and international brand through public outreach, public relations and media relations.
Marketing & Content Manager
Media Relations & Strategic Communications (50%)
- Respond to and manage requests from local, statewide, national and international media, including vetting media opportunities, researching the reporter and outlet, acting as a spokesperson for APR, prepping APR’s spokespeople, touring journalists, attending phone interviews and coordinating all follow up.
- Proactively build and maintain long-term relationships with various journalists, media organizations, editorial boards and freelancers.
- Develop and manage relationships with a network of individuals and organizations who act as spokespeople for the project.
- Plan, write and edit materials to disseminate APR news, including press releases, media alerts and editorials.
- Ensure appropriate risk management for American Prairie Reserve’s brand and reputation including acting as a lead in APR’s crisis response management.
- Ensure consistency in messaging, drive alignment among staff on communications strategy and work in conjunction with the Marketing & Content Manager to ensure the organization’s programs, positions and priorities are consistently and accurately communicated across all channels.
- Track and analyze efficacy of various tactics and strategies.
Public Outreach (50%):
- Oversee strategy for building community outreach efforts statewide, and enhancing APR’s brand and reputation in the state of Montana.
- Act as an APR representative and spokesperson and effectively network in various venues and in front of a wide range of audiences.
- Monitor and evaluate public opinion data and media coverage in order to develop effective messaging for specific campaigns and situations.
- Attend and represent APR at key events around the state and develop and maintain relationships with key organizations, advocates and leaders statewide.
- Develop short- and long-term strategies to communicate American Prairie Reserve’s public access and recreational opportunities on the Reserve.
- Assist with cultivating and maintaining working relationships with government agencies, NGOs and corporate partners in order to move the project forward.
Specific Skills, Educational Requirements, Credentials, Experience, Knowledge and Attributes that are needed for high performance:
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of APR’s mission, goals and culture.
- Degree in strategic communication, public relations, or relevant field, or a minimum of 5 years directly related experience.
- Savvy relationship builder able to interact and cultivate collaboration with finesse.
- Strong track record as an implementer able to manage a number of key initiatives concurrently; ability to prioritize and multi-task with a high level of productivity and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully under pressure; excellent analytic and problem solving skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; ability to represent APR to all types of audiences in a high quality and polished fashion, to exhibit a diplomatic, and positive presence.
- Ability to independently make decisions that reflect business vision and strategy on behalf of the organization.
- Available and willing to travel on a regular basis.
- Ability to participate in events, including some evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with Montana economics, politics and culture preferred.
- Public reputation related risk management experience preferred.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.