The SF - Marin Food Bank’s mission is to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. This year, we will distribute 48 million pounds of food – enough for more than 100,000 meals each day. We partner with more than 450 organizations – including 260 neighborhood pantries – to distribute food to low-income residents of San Francisco and Marin counties. Each week, more than 144,000 people are served by our programs.
The Food Bank is a mission-oriented, challenging and friendly place to work. We’re a team of more than 140 dedicated, inspired people working together to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. If you would like to be a part of building a community where no one suffers from hunger, please consider joining our team of talented and dedicated professionals. For more information about our organization, please visit www.sfmfoodbank.org.
- Are you passionate about event design & creation and love logistics?
- Are a creative, seasoned project manager who enjoys both the conception and execution of events?
- Do you have a strong track record of success managing events?
- Are you interested in working for a local, well-respected human services organization that has direct impact in the community?
In this role, you will be responsible for all internal and external events at the Food Bank, including both fundraising and recognition events. You will also play a key role in the Food Bank’s employee and internal events. The position requires travel throughout San Francisco and Marin as well as some evenings and weekends. This role is part of the Community Engagement Team and reports to the Director of Community Events.
Director of Community Engagement
Event Production (80%)
Annual Fundraising Event Management
One Big Table is our signature fundraising event held in September each year. This event brings 20 of the Bay Area’s top chefs to our warehouse where they cook a meal for 500 of the Food Bank’s highest level supporters. The Special Events Mgr. is the primary contact for all things related to One Big Table.
- Internal Responsibilities:
- Lead the design of the event by establishing the look, feel, and theme
- Ensure the event feels new and fresh year over year
- Liaison with operations and facilities to limit the event impact on Warehouse operations
- Manage both the revenue and expense budgets
- Coordinate sponsorship material production with Marketing Team
- Track and monitor table sales in collaboration with Development colleagues
- Work with Leadership Gifts team to track guest lists
- Collaborate with senior leadership on speaking program and video assets
- Solicit in-kind donations and live auction items
- Assign and supervise all staff and volunteers during the event
- Ensure all gifts are received and acknowledged
- Conduct final event evaluation
- External Responsibilities:
- Negotiate all vendor contacts (catering, rentals A/V, security, valet, florals, etc.)
- Recruit chefs to participate in this event
- Lead planning meetings throughout the year & walkthroughs as necessary
- Ensure all necessary permits are pulled
Donor Recognition Events
The Food Bank hosts three main recognition events throughout the year ranging from very casual to semi-formal.
- Breadwinner Reception (April)
- Volunteer Recognition Event (April)
- Monthly Giving Circle Reception (October)
- Responsibilities for Recognition Events – Internal:
- Full event design with input from senior leadership
- Lead collaboration with Marketing for necessary collateral
- Provide staff training & coordination for each event
- Responsible for the budget of each event
- Responsibilities for Recognition Events – External:
- Request RFP and negotiate vendor contracts for catering, AV, rentals, florals etc.
- Manage vendor communications
- Ensure appropriate vendor recognition
- Food Bank Staff & Other Events (10%)
Lead the planning and implementation of the Food Bank staff events, with support from the HR and Facilities teams. Events include, but not limited to:
- Food Bank Staff Holiday Party (December)
- Annual Employee Anniversary Celebration (February)
- Annual Employee Summer Event (June)
- All-Staff Lunches
- Partner Recognition Lunch (w/ Programs team)
- Board Events
- Donor Events (private dinners, house parties, etc)
Planning and Strategy/Miscellaneous (10%)
- Establish new event partnerships
- Alert Senior Leadership to other events that can be held in support of the SF-Marin Food Bank
- Maintain annual events revenue and expense budgets
- Collaborate with other Community Engagement team members on outside (3rd Party) events
Other projects as assigned
YOU MIGHT BE A PERFECT FIT IF:
- Have at least 3 years of work experience in special event management, preferably fundraising events
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, including excellent public speaking skills.
- You are a creative, out-of-the-box thinker.
- You are curious and eager to find out what you need to know to execute your job.
- You are organized, methodical, and precise.
- You are personable, enthusiastic, diplomatic, cooperative, and work well with people across cultures staff, Board members, volunteers, clients, the media and general public.
- You are able to work independently and responsibly under general direction, and demonstrate excellent judgment and discression.
- You are highly collaborative, flexible, and supportive colleague who values others’ ideas.
- You are proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- You have a working knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM tools.
- You can manage multiple projects, plan ahead, meet deadlines and adjust to shifting priorities
- You have a willingness to travel locally, and you are available to work occasional nights and weekends.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A mission that is supported by tens of thousands of individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- A well respected, well-known and trusted non-profit brand.
- An organization that is stable, innovative and efficiently managed.
- Innovative, skilled leaders who provide training and career development opportunities.
- A strong and supportive board with diverse professional backgrounds and networks of influence.
- An opportunity to be a part of a rapidly growing team.
- A highly collaborative work environment that fosters creativity and productivity (i.e. We like each other. We work hard, and we have fun).
- Competitive pay based on qualifications and experience.
- Excellent medical, dental, generous 403B retirement plan, FSA, life insurance, vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Use “Special Events Manager, your name” as the subject line.