AJF is an international nonprofit based in San Francisco, CA, USA dedicated to advocating for contemporary jewelry. Originally started in 1997, our organization has grown and expanded activities during the last five years. Our programs include two biennial, competitive cash prizes — an international artist award ($7,500) and a mid-career artists grant ($20,000); an editorial program of interviews, articles, and reviews submitted through an open call and by invitation, published online weekly; two major donor cultivation and education trips annually, both domestic and international; as well as member events and educational lectures around the world.
The Outreach and Programming Assistant role is a new position designed to meet the needs of a growing organization. The role is focused on three main areas: 50 percent operations, 25 percent development, and 25 percent special events, Allocation of time is likely to change week to week, depending on the projects at hand. We seek an eager and engaged person with ability to multi-task and work remotely with the capacity for learning and self-starting.
Executive Director, Rebekah Frank
Operations – 50%
- Description: assist with the organizing, scheduling, and promoting of content on the website including articles, interviews, reviews, schools, galleries, and other content types as needed
- Skills: image editing and manipulation, uploading content to Drupal CMS, layout and quality control, scheduling of content for timely publication.
- Email Marketing
- Description: assist with the preparation of press releases, weekly newsletters, sales pitches, donor correspondence, fundraising campaigns, and other announcements as needed
- Skills: image manipulation, uploading content to email service, layout and quality control, scheduling of content for timely release
- Social Media
- Description: assist with posting, sharing, commenting, and data gathering on AJF's social media platforms
- Skills: image manipulation, uploading content to social media platforms, data tracking
- Oversee IT and office needs
- Troubleshoot IT problems personally and/or through a third party vendoro Work with Network for Good and Drupal CMS, and general website management
- Research – as needed
- Description: assist in the building of contact and donor databases
- Oversee data integrity
- Collaborate with staff to ensure data integrity for reporting and in order to make objective, mindful decisions
- Update monthly metrics, prepare board reports
- Support ED in planning board meetings & retreat logistics, including working with staff to prepare board pre-read materials as well as any relevant logistics
Development – 25%
- Design, develop, and implement fundraising development plans in collaboration with the executive director and development committee
- Develop and implement a strategy to identify and secure corporate, foundation, individual, and government partnerships
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
- Working with third-party vendors to develop collateral to promote Art Jewelry Forum's fundraising goals and activities, including social media and website
- Work with organization's executive director to identify potential grant opportunities for Art Jewelry Forum; complete grants in collaboration
- Assist the executive director with planning and executing the organization's annual end of year fundraiser, typically during November
Major Events & Special Projects – 25%
- Assist with planning and strategy around three major events: AJF Domestic Trip, Munich Jewelry Week, and AJF International Trip
- Determine project plan, manage volunteers and interns, assure goals are meto Cultivate and secure event sponsors and partners as needed
- Work, volunteer, academic, and other life experience are all acceptable: A minimum of two years of experience in the nonprofit sector (or related area), with an understanding of the challenges faced by leaders of small arts-focused nonprofits with budgets under $250,000.
- Experience in the development sector, and specifically in cultivating donor relationships, raising funds, securing and managing grants, and planning and managing special events
- Experience overseeing programs, including strategy and evaluation
- High level of comfort and experience with technology; prior experience working with a CRM database and high-degree of comfort with new software; Network for Good experience a plus
- Organized, detail-oriented, creative, proactive, and dependable
- High emotional intelligence, able to easily develop deep, trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Flexibility and adaptability, able to shift communication and consulting styles to fit the needs of a wide range of cultures, people, and organizations
- Comfort with uncertainty, learning on the go, while keeping the big picture and strategic goals in mind
- Open to working some nights and weekends as needed, with advance notice
- Familiarity with working remotely, including time management and using technology to cultivate teamwork
- Passion for Art Jewelry Forum's mission and a great sense of humor
$15,000-22,000 a year for an 18-hour workweek.
The initial schedule during the training period will be Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10am – 4pm, but some flexibility is allowed here. A schedule of regular weekly check-in meetings, both in-person and remote, and workflow will be negotiated.
This position requires an in-person training period and weekly in-person meetings. While the majority of the time will be remote and flexible, because of the initial training and weekly meetings, preference will be given to applicants based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
How to Apply
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume (in PDF format) to email@example.com with the subject line AJF Outreach and Programming Assistant Application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please do not send follow-up emails.