Community Music Center (CMC), one of the oldest arts organizations on the West Coast, seeks an experienced Grant Writer. This is a unique opportunity for an exceptional and inspired writer to join CMC’s team of dedicated, professional staff and faculty ensuring quality music education is provided for all.
The Grant Writer reports to CMC’s Development Director and interfaces with the Executive Director. This staff position involves working with a dedicated and passionate team of development, marketing and financial professionals.
- Prepare and process grant applications, correspondence and reports for foundations, government and corporations.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of particular areas involved in identifying and soliciting grants.
- Identify potential new sources of foundation and corporate funding.
- Undertake grant research in selected program areas.
- Draft templates for grant applications and reports.
- Maintain and update calendars for grant applications and reports; track results; report weekly to Development Director and ED.
- Prepare foundation reports to CMC Board of Directors.
- Track and inform management of changes in foundation requirements.
- Respond to foundation inquiries in consultation with Executive Director, Finance Director and/or Development Director; report to these individuals on foundation interactions.
- Create or modify budgets and finance statements, in consultation with finance department.
- Produce mailing lists and prepare address labels for special foundation mailings such as the CMC audit. Package and mail applications and reports.
- Provide (as needed/requested) other CMC support, including contributing information for Annual Report and assisting with fundraising events and campaigns.
- Commitment to Community Music Center mission and goals to provide a quality music education for all regardless of means
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to codify ideas into coherently written and compelling narrative
- Ability to interpret and carry forward long established funding relationships with 40+ foundations
- Initiate and pursue research to establish new foundation relationships, including pursuit of local, state and federal funding
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of staff and faculty to achieve and exceed fundraising goals to support CMC
- Ability to pay attention to detail and maintain accurate records in established systems
- Fluency in Word and Excel; experience with Salesforce database and Google documents
- Familiarity utilizing online grant portals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality through adherence to the Donor Bill of Rights, (developed by the Association of Fundraising Professionals and endorsed by leading philanthropic organizations. A copy of the Donor Bill of Rights is attached.)
- A passion for music education and understanding of the benefits CMC provides to the San Francisco community
Salary commensurate with job requirements and experience. CMC offers healthcare, dental, vision and supplemental benefits packages, 403(b), and more.
This is an exempt position working on site four days per week (30 hours per week) at CMC’s Mission District Headquarters. Days to be determined.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter in confidence to CMCstaffopenings@sfcmc.org with your name and “Grant Writer” marked in the subject heading.