The Executive Director position of Special Love, Inc. is an exciting opportunity to lead a well-established organization as it enters the next phase of its development.
Founded in 1983, Special Love provides quality programs and a community of support to children with cancer and their families. We host a week-long summer camp for children with cancer and a separate week-long camp for their siblings. Our programs include a variety of weekend outings for families, parents, teens, and young adults. We also provide emergency funds for families and scholarships for young cancer survivors. Our service area includes DC, Maryland and Virginia.
The Executive Director directly reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s achievement of its mission, strategic objectives, revenue and donation generation, and financial objectives.
The Executive Director must possess extensive knowledge of business and management principles and practices for a non-profit entity. He/she oversees the day-to-day operations of the organization, and must be a skilled leader capable of directing, motivating and developing staff, while building an organizational framework to support key strategic program objectives and outcomes in accordance with budget objectives. The Executive Director must have strong ability to position Special Love for the future by envisioning strategic program and fundraising expansion.
The Executive Director must also have excellent public speaking and oral communication skills to address and engage the Board, staff, diverse communities of supporters and donors, program partners, and the general public.
Board of Directors
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to develop, plan and implement the strategic direction of the organization, ensuring an outcome-based Strategic Plan with quarterly and annual metrics.
- Maintain effective and consistent communication with the Board of Directors, staff, volunteers and strategic community partners.
- Develop and implement an annual development plan to meet the financial needs of the organization, with appropriate goals and performance metrics for all areas of the organization. Actively engage in fundraising, enhance existing relationships, and work to establish new relationships and partnerships.
- Work with the Board of Directors, Program Officer and Program Committee to develop, plan and implement the organization’s programs.
- Primary responsibility for the Special Love brand. Our mission is to be the premier source of hope, comfort, and compassion to children with cancer and their families in the Mid-Atlantic region. Special Love embraces and promotes the following values: Compassion and Respect, Inclusion, Accountability/Responsibility, Adaptability, Openness/Honesty and Safety. The ideal candidate will maintain the heart and soul of the organization while balancing the need for planning and execution of strategic objectives.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization, including directing, motivating and developing staff
Communications, Public Relations & Partnerships
- Maintain effective, collaborative, and productive relationship with the Northern Virginia 4H Center in Front Royal, VA and its representatives.
- Serve as a key spokesperson for Special Love, representing the organization with media and the public.
- Enhance the organization’s positioning, image and awareness, including working with staff to identify, develop and enhance relationships with relevant partner organizations and corporations.
- Represent the organization to various audiences in a professional manner consistent with Special Love’s image and mission.
- Establish strategic working relationships and collaboration with community groups, related organizations, key influencers, existing and potential donors, and corporate partners.
- Ensure effective communications with the Board of Directors, community partners, families and the public through the organization’s communications materials, website, and social media.
- Establish and foster effective communication and coordination within the governance and staff of the organization.
- Ensure employee policies, procedures and practices are consistent with Special Love’s standards and policies, and State and Federal employment laws.
- Practice effective staff management, motivation, career development and evaluation.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and healthy workplace.
- Oversight of employee payroll and benefits.
- Maintain official records and documents including Board of Directors meeting minutes and related materials.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and staff to develop annual budget and oversight to ensure budget compliance.
- Develop and/or enhance financial procedures and financial reporting.
- Work with Director of Development to ensure donation income records and procedures are accurate and timely.
- Oversight of all accounts payable and receivables.
- Work with external auditors on annual audit.
- Provide leadership in fundraising activities, working closely with the Director of Development and the Board Resource Development Committee to initiate, plan and execute fundraising materials, campaigns and events.
- Identify new opportunities and means of enhancing existing fundraising development efforts including involving volunteers in fundraising efforts.
- Cultivate relationships and new partnerships to increase the organization’s visibility and fundraising revenues. Both monetary and in-kind.
- Ensure that all programs are consistent with the missions and goals of the Special Love Board of Directors Strategic Plan.
- Oversee all programs undertaken by Special Love and serve as liaison to the Board and Board committees with respect to all programs.
- Institute and supervise program quality control systems.
- Responsible for growth and development of new programs in line with the mission of the organization and needs of the families served.
Board of Directors Support
Provide administrative support and communication for the Board of Directors and Board committees.
Qualifications and Experience
- Seven to ten years of experience in a nonprofit leadership role or as a nonprofit Executive Director or CEO.
- Proven track record of strategic leadership, partnerships and accomplishment of annual goals including budget management.
- Experience with governance and volunteer leadership in a nonprofit organization.
- Strong financial management, ability to measure ROI, forecasting and business sustainability skills.
- Ability to build a sense of shared purpose and commitment in staff, volunteers, donors and key influencers.
- Effective communicator and public spokesperson
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- Experience with governance and volunteer leadership in a nonprofit organization
- Experience in a healthcare or hospitality nonprofit.
How to Apply
Email Resume to President@Specialove.org