The Business Center for New Americans (BCNA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that creates a pathway to self-sufficiency for immigrant and refugee entrepreneurs in New York City by providing access to affordable credit, empowering them with financial education, and offering training in best business practices and technology. BCNA is a Small Business Administration (SBA) Approved Microloan Intermediary Lender and certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) by the CDFI Fund at the US Department of Treasury. As of December 31, 2017, we have made over $19 million in microloans,which range from $500 to $50,000. We also have an Individual Development Account (IDA) Program and a First Home Program. More information is available at www.nybcna.org.
BCNA is currently looking to expand our lending services and is in search of a Supervising Lending Officer in the Jackson Heights,Queens office. The ideal candidate is someone who is self-motivated, enjoys teamwork and has the ability to work with staff to improve an existing loan program and take it to the next level of excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Lending, the Supervising Lending Officer will develop and implement the strategy for business growth of BCNA’s microloan program that helps beginning and under-served micro and small business entrepreneurs by providing access to larger micro-loans and SBA CA loans. The goal of the program is to help borrowers increase assets, income, and independence through their successful ownership of businesses.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to assist in the promotion, analysis, loan packaging, and underwriting of BCNA’s SBA CA loans: and, to lead business development and post loan follow-up with the business owners who received the loans
The position will supervise three staff in BCNA’s Queens office and also assist the Director of Lending (located in the Manhattan Headquarters office) to build the capacity of BCNA's Micro Loan Program to provide larger micro-loans to all eligible entrepreneurs in NYC.
Director of Lending
- Function as a Senior Loan officer for larger microloans and SBA CA loans with additional supervisory responsibility in the Queens office.
- Prepare comprehensive credit memoranda for Loan Committee review, based on loan application data and other pertinent information collected from the loan applicant(s) as well as other sources.
- Prepare spreadsheets and analyze loan client financial statements and tax returns using internal computer systems and files.
- Ensure that all credit memoranda are accurate and complete with proper loan structuring, identify risk analysis and risk mitigation strategies, and adhere to BCNA’s Loan Policy and Procedures.
- Lead business development and post-loan follow-up with the business owners who received the loans.
- Follow department procedures for maintaining accurate client financial statements / tax returns, follow up for annual renewals and update requirements as defined in BCNA's Loan Policy and Procedures.
- Support Director of Lending with maintenance and updates to Loan Policy and Procedures manual regarding SBA CA loans.
- Attend Loan Committee meetings and, as needed, participate in credit discussions with Loan Committee members.
- Attend events to promote BCNA's loan products.
- Minimum five years work experience including two 2 years in credit analysis of commercial loans in a non-profit or for-profit environment. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, or equivalent related work experience
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment; commitment to working with refugees and immigrants.
- Strong English verbal and written communications skills; editing skills. Proficiency in a second language a plus.
- Strong knowledge of credit principles, policies, practices, financial / cash flow analysis and current lending regulations. Excellent mathematical and analytical skills. Excellent computer skills, including strong proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Ability to work with internal and external contacts in a professional manner, to maintain confidentiality and to coordinate and prioritize to meet specified deadlines.
$70,000-$80,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
Competitive benefits package including three weeks vacation with increase to four weeks after one year; twelve paid holidays, eight sick days ,two personal days;medical and dental insurance; 403(b) Plan.
Knowledge of NYC with willingness and ability to travel to engage in marketing and outreach activities. Normal office hour are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. May occasionally be expected to work some evenings and occasional weekend days to attend meetings, seminars and community
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: Lending/PND