myFutureNC (MFNC) is a newly established statewide nonprofit organization focused on educational attainment and is the result of cross-sector collaboration between North Carolina leaders in education, business and government.
MFNC was born out of North Carolina’s thought leaders in education, business, faith-based and nonprofit communities, and members of the North Carolina General Assembly and the Governor’s Office. Together, these leaders became the myFutureNC Commission and launched a statewide conversation about economic competitiveness, workforce development and educational attainment.
This is an exciting opportunity to join from the beginning and be able to shape the development activities of the organization as it matures. Strong leadership and vision for the future will be essential.
The Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for managing the strategic direction and tactical implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program with individual, corporate, and foundation objectives. This new position will work closely with the President & CEO and myFutureNC’s Board of Directors in building a diverse set of donor prospects across North Carolina and nationally.
- Collaborate with the President & CEO, Board of Directors, and MFNC team to create and implement a fund development plan that increases funding to support the organization’s strategic direction—special attention toward establishing a network of private donors (corporate, individual and foundation) is critical
- Meet or exceed MFNC’s development goals while adhering to best practices and policies
- Build upon and expand relationships with stakeholders across North Carolina to attract philanthropic support
- Plan and execute effective donor cultivation, recognition, and stewardship
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of soliciting and closing individual gifts
- Develop a thorough understanding of MFNC’s programs and identify potential private grant opportunities
- Research and write high quality applications for private grants including producing or gathering any necessary supporting documentation
- Fulfill all reporting requirements of grant-making foundations in a timely manner
- Identify prospective donors, at both the state and national levels, whose goals or interests align with the MFNC mission
- Leverage existing connections to initiate relationships
- Articulate a compelling case for financial support and solicit donations
- Maintain an ongoing database of potential donors and specific activities to relationship cultivation
- Proactively communicate the organization’s progress to donors
- Oversee creation of publications to support fundraising activities
The ideal candidate must comprehend myFutureNC’s mission and have a deep understanding of the state’s current philanthropic climate. A strong background in major gift fundraising and general working understanding of North Carolina’s legislature and local government is a must. The candidate must thrive on working independently to create a vibrant development function and be able to lead the board, leadership, and staff to embrace private philanthropy as a critical component of the long-term sustainability of the organization.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and traits:
- Experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising and individuals
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain external relationships
- Comfort with public speaking
- Ability to manage a fundraising database
- Experience with coordinating fundraising efforts, including events, campaigns, and digital communications
- Readily apparent enthusiasm for the mission of MFNC
- Strong network in the North Carolina business and nonprofit arena and philanthropic community
- Prior experience or familiarity with North Carolina’s education system at either the local or state level
- Minimum of 7 years of proven performance in fundraising success in professional capacity with non-profit organizations required
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred in relevant field
$90k - $115K, based on experience
How to Apply
MFNC has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Nominations, expressions of interest, and applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com or online here. Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. All material will be confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Capital Development Services, 336-747-0133 x 208.