Reports to: Regional Director East Africa, Madagascar and West Indian Ocean (EAMWIO)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Country Program/Sector: WCS EAMWIO Regional Program
Position Type: Full-time
Application deadline: 15 November 2020
Internal liaison: WCS Regional Director EAMWIO; All Country Directors and Finance Directors/Manager in the Region, Regional Finance Comptroller
Expected travel: Approximately 20%. As required within the region
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
The main purpose of this role will be to oversee the budget and finances of the region, and to provide direct support to the Regional Director in managing the operations of the Regional Program. The Regional Business Manager will continually assess and document the financial health of the Regional Program and develop both short and long-term financial plans for the Region. S/he regularly provides reports for management in the region and headquarters.
- Financial Management and Planning: Ensure Regional Director has the financial information they require to manage and fundraise for the Region; Provide monthly key performance indicators for each country and all multi-country grants; Work with Regional Controller to resolve any issues with finances in the Region; Annual presentation of short and long term financial plans for each country with detailed variance analysis on prior plans; Report regularly to headquarters about the financial state of the Region.
- Budget Leadership: Manage and maintain the Regional Program budget; Lead the annual WCS budgeting process for all countries in the Region; Responsible for working with Country Finance teams to understand and report on full program costs; Responsible to manage the region’s Unrestricted allocations; Serve as the budget lead for regional grants; Review country budget adjustments, budget to actual reports, and ensure regular and timely budget updates.
- Proposal Review: Working in coordination with NY grant departments, approve all proposal budgets from the Region – ensure budgets are covering costs and are contributing to strengthening the Regional Program; ensure budgets are in line with long-term financial plan for the Region; ensure budgets are developed in compliance with WCS policies and undergo appropriate reviews.
- Grant Management: Ensure regional grant administration is on track; Coordinate preparation of financial reports for regional grants; Review and approve grant financial reports prepared by Country Programs; Support Country Programs in understanding WCS grant management processes, systems, tools and donor compliance requirements.
- People Management: Work with Regional Director to manage regional staffing; Support the recruitment and training of grant/finance/administration staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as determined by the Regional Director.
The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership, business partnering and influencing skills. S/He must have excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor, leader and listener in group settings. S/He must be well organized, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done; can work on multiple tasks at multiple levels and switch between them; can foresee and plan around obstacles.
- Bachelor degree required, MBA preferred. Related program of study such as finance, accounting, economics or business highly preferred.
- Proven financial management experience in an international organization (5+ years) including staff management experience.
- Effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic; Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team. Must be solution-oriented, and have strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- English fluency and a strong working knowledge of French are required
- Excellent computer and systems skills required with respect to MS Office applications (advanced skills in MS Excel required) and major financial accounting and reporting software (SAP or equivalent)
- Experience with grants management and grant reporting in a multi-funder environment required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV to: AfricaApplications@wcs.org by 15 November 2020. Please include “Regional Business Manager East Africa, Madagascar & West Indian Ocean” in the subject line of your email.
In addition, please note that all candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.