Founded in 2013 by two educators (Dave Levin and Dominic Randolph) and one scientist (Angela Duckworth), Character Lab is a nonprofit dedicated to advancing scientific insights that help kids thrive. By connecting researchers with educators, Character Lab seeks to create greater knowledge about the conditions that lead to social, emotional, academic, and physical well-being for young people throughout the country. To learn more, go to www.characterlab.org.
Our culture is both challenging (we’re never done improving) and supportive (one of our core values is excessive generosity). To learn more, read our Culture Book.
Character Lab is looking for a Finance and Operations Associate. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Associate will support the operational and technology needs of the organization. We especially encourage applicants who identify as Black, Latinx, or Native American to apply for this position. This is an exciting opportunity for a results-oriented, innovative professional to have a tremendous impact by ensuring Character Lab develops and maintains our internal systems to achieve dramatic results and growth.
The Finance and Operations Associate will have strong input into many of our operational processes, including the management of software platforms, data security processes, and office operations such as inventory, facilities, computers, and other equipment. In close collaboration with the Director of Finance and Operations, the Associate will be encouraged to make recommendations for process improvements as necessary.
Director of Finance and Operations
- In partnership with the Director of Finance and Operations, develop and maintain operational systems, processes, and policies
- Recommend and implement improvements to streamline processes
- Lead implementation and administration of all technology and software platforms for the organization, including Google Workspace, Asana, Expensify, Slack, etc.
- Lead day-to-day implementation of data security protocols, including implementing new recommendations that arise in partnership with our data security vendor
- Lead implementation of our Key Performance Indicator dashboard(s), including programming within the Domo platform and related supports
- Manage office inventory, including technology hardware, and any facility needs
- Manage a variety of projects to support resource allocation decisions and operational planning
- Ensure timely processing of payables for vendors and reimbursements, working with the Finance and Operations Manager to ensure correct accounting coding
- Support the Director of Finance and Operations in general financial compliance and reporting (e.g., 510(c)3 status, audit, insurance)
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 2+ years of professional experience in project management, operations, or nonprofit management
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Detailed understanding of operational systems and procedures
- Ability to effectively embrace and lead others in adoption of new technology platforms
- Ability to think critically and identify system improvements
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office platform (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Workspace platform; experience with Domo a plus
- Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose, with the ability to work collectively as part of a dynamic start-up
Competitive salary is commensurate with an individual’s experience and skills. All full-time employees receive a comprehensive benefits package.
- Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
- Some light-to-medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials)
- Occasional travel for work-related responsibilities and needs (once safe travel can resume)
Character Lab has a Remote-First policy, which means that we fully support employees working remotely from any US location. Employees decide whether to work remotely or on-site at our office headquarters in Philadelphia.
Character Lab strives to ensure our culture and operations support all staff equitably. We support effective office environments for all staff, whether in our headquarters, a local coworking space, or a home office.