Phipps Neighborhoods is a 48-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing opportunities for children, youth, and families to break the cycle of poverty and achieve long-term self-sufficiency. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success. Phipps Neighborhoods serves approximately 12,000 children, teens, and adults in our three program areas Cradle to College and Career (pre-kindergarten services, community schools, after school programs, and college access counseling); Civic Engagement and Education (Bronx Youth Community Action Team and Mentoring Program); Career Development Training ( Career Networks- Healthcare, Education, and Summer Youth Employment). Phipps Neighborhoods also provides community resources, such as healthy families case management programs, financial literacy and counseling, adult education, and supportive housing for young people aging out of foster care. We work closely with stakeholders including government, businesses, philanthropic partners, and other community partners to employ a structured approach toward creating shared goals to achieve significant and lasting social change and help individuals thrive in every aspect of their lives.
The Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive and strategic fundraising plan aligned with Phipps Neighborhoods’ institutional priorities and plans for growth. The Director will report directly to the Chief Strategy and Partnership Officer and oversee all fundraising activities to create short-term and long-term strategies that build revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, foundation and government entities. Working closely with the Executive Director and CEO, Chief Strategy and Partnerships Officer, and the Board of Directors, she/he will provide leadership and oversight of all resource development strategies and activities, including creating, planning and managing successful initiatives in the areas of major gifts, grants, special events, annual giving, planned giving, growth campaigns and stewardship, and will ensure the alignment of development activities with the mission, policies, values and goals of Phipps Neighborhoods.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Phipps Neighborhoods mission and understands fundraising as a reflection of the organization’s values. She/he will possess excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, as well as persuasive power and persistence. They will be skilled in motivating and leading teams, and maintaining excellent relationships with various donors, partners, and other stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Executive Cabinet, Board of Directors, and program teams, develop, implement, and monitor comprehensive annual and multi-year development plans to project and raise annual budget goals and advance Phipps Neighborhoods’ funding priorities. This includes oversight and management of systems and processes for effective identification, tracking, and engagement with donors and prospects, including prospecting, data management, acknowledgments, and ongoing communication with individual prospects, donors, institutional funders, and other key partners.
- Meet donor needs by providing strategies and opportunities that raise revenue and other resources while building trust and benefitting both parties.
- Encourage and support the efforts of the ED, Trustee leadership and members, and other executive staff to cultivate potential funding sources.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with prospective and current individual and corporate donors, Board members, foundations, elected officials, volunteers, local communities and businesses.
- Coordinate with Operations, Strategy, Finance and Program leadership to ensure funding proposals reflect comprehensive operational and strategic needs.
- Research and ensure that Phipps Neighborhoods is aware of all funding opportunities that align with core agency goals.
- Identify new sources of funding and planning to meet the needs of the agency and execute/aid in the response process including writing, editing, packaging, and submitting proposals.
- Manage and actively participate in creating virtual and in-person event-planning by reimagining current event platforms and target audiences.
- Work in partnership with the Communications team to design campaigns and marketing strategies that support events and reflect fundraising priorities.
- When appropriate, serve as a public face of the organization in forums where development or programmatic considerations relevant to Phipps Neighborhoods are in discussion.
- Understand industry trends, utilize technologies and new platforms to improve results.
- Execute appropriate follow-ups, correspondence, and follow-through.
- Work closely with the CEO and the senior leadership to ensure development efforts are aligned and integrated with the agency’s specific and general goals and priorities.
- Energize the Board’s personal and professional resources, interests and capabilities in various fundraising and volunteering efforts. Work closely with the Board on strategies and solicitations.
- Set clear benchmarks/goals for the work, regularly reflect on progress through data tracking and analysis, and adjust tactics as necessary to meet Phipps Neighborhood’s goals.
- Manage and supervise departmental staff, which includes regular communication, meetings, hiring, and performance evaluations.
- Support staff in professional development and growth through in-service training and development of new resources.
- Perform other tasks and special projects as assigned by the CEO & Executive Director.
- Degree(s) Preferred: BA or BS from an accredited College or University required; an MA in nonprofit management, social work, public relations, development/ fundraising, or business administration highly desired.
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Familiarity with electronic donor tracking systems, Raiser’s Edge Donor Tracking System is preferred.
- Friendly, curious, and hardworking team player invested in the Bronx, Phipps Neighborhoods’ mission, or social justice causes.
- Occasionally required to work a flexible schedule including evenings, holidays, and weekends
- Ability to use public transportation to various locations throughout the city and lift up to 25 lbs.
Skills and Experience:
- Passionate about the mission/vision of Phipps Houses, and new initiatives being planned and pursued around youth/education, community development and housing supports services.
- 7+ years of experience in nonprofit or public sectors, at least 5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Extensive fundraising/marketing experience for social services, youth services, health services, education, arts/culture, or community-based programming.
- Strong knowledge of principles, ethics and practices of successful fundraising and development.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously, to track work details, and to respond flexibly to changes.
- Strong storytelling skills and demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Strong problem-solving and strategic-thinking skills, and sound judgment.
- Understand the confidential nature of fundraising efforts and handling donor information.
- A demonstrated track record of designing and executing an overall fundraising plan and growing and diversifying donor bases.
How to Apply
In order to be considered, please apply through our Job Portal using the following link: