As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
The Gift Planning Unit at the American Red Cross seeks to secure planned gifts supporting any component of the organization’s mission and to establish the Red Cross as the charity of choice for such gifts.
The Gift Planning Officer (based in Upstate NY – Albany, Rochester or Syracuse) develops, designs, and implements the planned giving program for the the Eastern and Western NY Regions of the American Red Cross, focusing on new gift commitments for the organization. This role includes identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gift planning prospects and donors in the Regions. The Gift Planning Officer will be responsible for developing strategies to increase funding capacity and maximize donor relationships.
Director of Gift Planning
- Develops and manages the gift planning strategy for a portfolio of prospects throughout the Regions to support Red Cross programs and services.
- Develop, lead, and implement strategies to substantially grow membership of the Legacy Society.
- Maintains and enhances a stewardship program for all planned giving donors. Raises and enhances the profile of the Legacy Society.
- Meet annual targets for donor visits and strategic communications, planned gift proposals, and new planned gift commitments.
- Deliver training for donors, staff and volunteers as appropriate on gift planning to advance knowledge and foster opportunities in gift conversations and strategy development.
- Remain current in gift planning trends and fundraising techniques by attending meetings and conferences and participating in training programs.
- Provides technical assistance to help the Regions increase their fundraising capacity to solicit planned and current gifts.
- Works with various local financial planning and estate planning associations to plan meetings that maximize the Red Cross position as the charity of choice for bequests, trusts, retirement funds, life insurance policies, and life income arrangements.
- Supports the reporting by the Regions of all estate documents to the Office of General Counsel.Communicates with the Director of Gift Planning on a regular basis about donor and gift activity. Utilizes development prospect management systemto facilitate regular reporting of donor and gift activity and to manage achievements of fundraising and personal goals.
- Maintains a contact management system and records, tracks, qualifies and responds to prospect inquiries in appropriate software and/or system.
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent years of experience is required and an advanced degree is desirable.
- A minimum of five years in major gift or gift planning fundraising with successful cultivating and soliciting experience, or similarly experienced candidates from the financial, estate and/or philanthropic planning, law, and trust administration fields is preferred. Experience promoting and managing such programs is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of planned giving vehicles as well as an extensive knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques in a large organization is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation, negotiation, and strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong organization skills and good attention to detail are essential. Demonstrated tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations is essential.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office is necessary. Training in PG Calc or Crescendo planned giving software is desirable.
- Familiarity with the upstate NY market is beneficial. Familiarity with Red Cross corporate culture is preferred.
- Operational flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs and a moderate amount (10-25%) of business travel are required. Must have your own transportation.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
External Candidates – apply by clicking the link below: