Founded in 2000, the Arcus Foundation is dedicated to the idea that people can live in harmony with one another and the natural world. Arcus’ work is based on the belief that respect for diversity among peoples and in nature is essential to a positive future for our planet and all of its inhabitants. Arcus is among the most consistent funders of social justice work pushing for the safety, acceptance, and inclusion of LGBTQ people around the world, and of conservation work to ensure the world’s great apes and gibbons can thrive in their natural habitats. The Foundation works globally and has offices in New York City and Cambridge, United Kingdom. To learn more, visit: www.arcusfoundation.org.
Arcus is seeking a Digital Communications Coordinator who is an experienced communications professional highly skilled in sourcing, publishing, and analyzing digital content—especially engaging social content—for a nonprofit, news, media, or similar organization. They will be comfortable with content management systems requiring basic HTML skills, digital asset management systems, and basic photo and video editing tools. They will be experienced in either or both of the movements Arcus supports—human rights and wildlife conservation—and in telling stories, growing and measuring quality engagement and impact, and managing editorial calendars. They will work in Arcus’ New York office and demonstrate a commitment to Arcus Foundation’s mission and values.
The successful candidate will be responsible for timely publishing and community engagement on all Arcus social media channels—including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Vimeo, and YouTube*—through monitoring of Arcus grantee channels and relevant news sources, and collaboration with grantee communications staff and Arcus program colleagues. Additionally, they will:
- Support production of other digital publications, such as pages of arcusfoundation.org and stateoftheapes.com, and content, such as videos and blogs
- Contribute to the updates, maintenance, and promotion of Arcus’ media asset library-Assist with the acquisition of new assets for the library and for use on social and web pages
- Contribute to the monitoring and presentation of performance metrics
- Write, edit, proofread, and coordinate other digital and print materials as needed
- Draft, update, and input on editorial guidelines, stylesheets, and relevant policy documents
*Arcus uses the handles @arcuslgbt and @arcusgreatapes on all social channels except Vimeo and LinkedIn, where we can be found at @arcusfoundation and https://www.linkedin.com/company/arcus-foundation/.
Digital Communications Manager
Updating and coordinating editorial calendars; Monitoring and updating Twitter lists, scanning tools, and newsletter subscriptions, establishing systems for comprehensive review of partner and grantee outputs; Following news and current affairs at the national and global level, and finding opportunities to link coverage with grantee work and perspective.
Writing clear, clean, concise, and engaging copy in accordance with editorial guidelines and institutional style; Unwavering attention to detail in all aspects of editorial production, including applying hashtags, tagging, and hyperlinking; Resolving editorial questions in consistent manner using relevant source documentation.
Ensuring digital content is aligned with Arcus institutional mission and program strategies; Achieving balance in coverage of both program areas and the communities they support, and in sourcing of content from grantee partners, relevant movement stakeholders, and media.
Implementing Arcus values through production of all editorial content; Exercising editorial judgment on subject matter and framing of all content to further Arcus mission and strategies and support the work of partners and grantees.
- A minimum of 5 years professional online communications experience
- Work experience or demonstrated interest in the fields of global human rights and/or wildlife or environmental conservation
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to tell engaging stories and translate sector jargon for nonspecialist audiences
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting metrics and implementing SEO strategies
- Experience with social media scheduling tools and channel functionality
- Experience with content management and data asset management systems
- Photo and video editing skills
- Proven track record working in close-knit, multicultural teams in various time zones
- Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proven track record adapting to technological change and innovation
- Collaborative spirit and sense of humor
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a resume, tailored cover letter, and writing samples (including social media posts and nonprofit editorial content and/or journalistic clips) via arcusfoundation.org/employment. Please include salary requirements in your letter, as well as your preferred start date and confirmation of U.S. work authorization. We will contact only shortlisted candidates who have submitted complete applications.
The Arcus Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ people are particularly urged to apply.
Arcus is firmly committed to complying with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity ("EEO") laws. The Arcus Foundation strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual's race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, arrest record, and any other characteristic protected by law.