Location: Philadelphia, PA, New York City or Washington, DC
Application Deadline: May 2, 2021
The Media Relations Director promotes AFSC as a bold, trustworthy voice on key global peace and justice issues. Using traditional and social media skills, the Media Relations Director will promote awareness of AFSC and promote the effectiveness of nonviolence. The Director will coordinate trainings and procedures that help experts throughout AFSC better attain media coverage. The Director will manage crisis communications, media pitching, op-ed placement, and media-friendly events to amplify visibility for our overall work (both U.S. and international), with a personal portfolio more focused on international peacebuilding work.
- Develop, direct, and execute strategic communications plans and procedures for national and international media across all editorial platforms.
- Serve as a spokesperson and a primary media contact for the Service Committee in English and Spanish language media.
- Build and maintain strong, productive relationships with the news media.
- Serve as a confidential advisor to AFSC management and Board members and a representative for AFSC’s management to the media and public.
- Secure regular placements in online, broadcast, and traditional news media for AFSC leadership and staff experts.
- Supervise the Media Relations Manager and their work on U.S. peace and justice issues.
- Coordinate our internal talking points process to ensure we have a common messaging platform on key issues.
- Oversee media monitoring and work with the Director of Research and Analysis on media research and reporting.
- Edit and approve press releases, op-eds, social media content to promote AFSC’s visibility in the news media. Write and ghost-write blog posts, op-eds, social media news responses, and other material to promote AFSC’s campaigns and programs.
- Train and mentor staff leadership and program staff in locations around the world to be effective media spokespeople.
- With the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and Managing Director of Communications, coordinate rapid response to breaking news.
- Support AFSC experts in public presentations and speeches. Support the Advancement Unit, General Secretary, and others in preparing speeches and serve as an occasional speaker at meetings and gatherings.
- Maintain strong relationships with media relations counterparts in allied organizations.
- Manage any media consultants and manage the contracts for media services, such as our monitoring and distribution tool.
- Contribute to social media and content marketing plans.
- As part of the Communications Department, do occasional editing and writing on other projects, such as Quaker Action magazine or blog posts.
Education: B.A. (particularly in fields such as public relations, journalism, communications, or marketing) or equivalent experience.
- More than seven years’ experience with media relations, preferably in a nonprofit setting. At least three years’ experience as a project lead.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills are necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret effectively the programs and goals of an organization to a wide range of persons of different backgrounds.
- Experience with social media, particularly Twitter, and blogging as a tactic of media relations.
Compensation: Salary begins at $62,265 with minimal flexibility based on experience– Exempt – Comprehensive medical and hospitalization plan; term life, accident and salary continuation insurances, defined benefit pension plan, plus fringe benefits; participation in unemployment and worker’s compensation and social security.
The American Friends Service Committee is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, national origin, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
AFSC’s Central Office and some of its offices in the U.S. are unionized workplaces. This position is represented.
The American Friends Service Committee is a smoke-free workplace.
- Commitment to Quaker values and testimonies. Understanding of and compatibility with the principles and philosophy of the American Friends Service Committee including non-violence and the belief in the intrinsic worth of every individual.
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles, concerns, and considerations, of AFSC in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender and sexual orientation, and disabilities. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff.
- Spanish language fluency is required.
- Ability to coordinate collaborative efforts with colleagues in many locations.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Relationships with media outlets and journalists who cover international affairs. Track record of placements in radio, TV, online, and traditional newspapers is required.
- Familiarity with global and U.S. peace and justice issues.
- Ability to work both independently and in a multi-layered team environment, establish objectives, determine priorities, and support a successful team approach to raise awareness of AFSC and its positions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with committees and staff, and in an organization that is characterized by a high level of consultation. Good listening skills are essential.
- Served on the crisis communications team, taking the lead on media relations during crises.
- Evidence of ability to exercise judgment consistent with and supportive of AFSC goals as well as demonstrated initiative, perseverance, and ability to cope with pressure.
- Ability to sustain workloads over extended periods during emergencies, special campaigns, holiday seasons, and other situations.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the world, sometimes for several days at a time, and to work some evenings and weekends. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Experience with Meltwater or other media monitoring and distribution tools.
- Strong computer skills are essential.
How to Apply
For consideration, please attach your Cover Letter and Resume to the online application in addition to answering the Application Questions at https://bit.ly/3cSQoUC.