Executive Director of Development at Middle Georgia State University
Middle Georgia State University seeks an experienced development professional to serve as the next Executive Director of Development. The Executive Director of Development is an outstanding opportunity for a professional fundraiser to serve in a key role within a growing Advancement program. Reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement, the Executive Director interacts closely with the deans and faculty to achieve designated fundraising goals for the individual academic units as well as the overall University.
Middle Georgia State University (MGA) is the most affordable public state university in Georgia, enrolling more than 8,400 students in Fall 2020. Enrollment is largely comprised of students from most of Georgia’s 159 counties, as well as students from across the U.S. and the world.
MGA has five campuses—Macon, Cochran, Dublin, Eastman, and Warner Robins, all located in central Georgia—and unlimited outreach through MGA Direct, a fully-online campus. The University has six academic schools: Arts & Letters, Aviation, Business, Computing, Education & Behavioral Sciences, and Health & Natural Sciences.
A key area of planned growth is graduate programs, which currently include online master’s degrees in information technology, management, teaching-secondary education, technical and professional writing, and nursing with emphasis on adult/gerontology acute care. A doctoral program in information technology is set to begin in Fall 2021. A Master of Science in Occupational Therapy is set to begin in 2022 (pending accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges).
A member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, the MGA Knights compete in the Southern States Athletic Conference. The University fields teams in men’s baseball, basketball, soccer, and tennis, and women’s basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball. The University also has club sports in football, cheer, and IHSA equestrian.
The Executive Director of Development works with internal and external constituencies, including faculty and volunteers, to implement strategies for building relationships to maximize philanthropic support for the University. A strong track record of effective identification, cultivation, solicitation, consultation, and stewardship, preferably in a higher education setting, of donors and prospective donors is critical for success in this position.
The Executive Director conducts personal visits with alumni and friends throughout the state. A member of the Advancement leadership team, this officer is responsible for building and managing an assigned portfolio of donors and prospective donors. This includes participation in the identification of prospective donors, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Implement strategies for cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of best practices in higher education philanthropy and incorporate them into fundraising activities.
- Prepare or assist in drafting proposals and other gift solicitation and grant materials.
- Assist with publicity arrangements on significant gifts.
- Attend and participate in MGA, alumni, and other appropriate events, both on and off campus, to enhance the friend-raising efforts of the University.
A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred. Five years of professional experience in fundraising, working the full spectrum of development, including cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and donor recognition, is required.
Additional skills and abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated self-motivator and self-starter
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of alumni, faculty, donors, and colleagues throughout the University
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team as well as independently on projects and objectives
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, including meeting deadlines
- Strong critical and creative thinking skills
- Willingness and ability to travel and work weekends
Macon-Bibb County, Georgia
MGA’s largest campus and administrative hub is located in Macon-Bibb County. Offering large-city amenities and true Southern charm, Macon-Bibb has a population of approximately 155,000, with the metropolitan area totaling almost 230,000.
Located 70 miles south of Atlanta, Macon is a popular tourist destination. Macon-Bibb is rich with cultural assets such as the Hay House, Tubman Museum, and Ocmulgee Monument Historic National Park, a lively arts scene, annual festivals, including the International Cherry Blossom Festival, and a well-versed music heritage, playing home to such greats as Otis Redding, Little Richard, and the Allman Brothers Band.
Most recently, Macon has become a go-to location for movie/TV filmmaking. Served by three hospitals, Macon is one of Georgia’s major medical service centers. Just 16 miles south of Macon-Bibb is Robins Air Force Base, the largest single-site industrial complex in Georgia.
How to Apply
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
- Application packet must include: a) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, b) Current resume, and c) At least five references with full contact information including e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
- Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to MGA-ExDirDev@myersmcrae.com
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
Review of applications begins immediately. For best consideration, submit applications by May 17, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to MGA-ExDirDevemail@example.com with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Emily Parker Myers, CEO, Kenny Daugherty, President, and Jennifer Barfield, Senior Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting are assisting Middle Georgia State University with this search.
Middle Georgia State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, and strongly encourages the applications and nominations of women and minorities. Middle Georgia State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, political affiliation, or the presence of a non-job related condition or handicap under Federal or State law.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
www.myersmcrae.com | 478-330-6222