Human Rights First is an independent advocacy and action organization that challenges America to live up to its ideals. Over its 40-year history, Human Rights First has earned a reputation for pragmatic, results-oriented advocacy that is politically astute, grounded in facts, and driven by sophisticated legal and policy analysis. Human Rights First is a non-profit, non-partisan organization with a track record of success in delivering change that has made a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
JOB TITLE: Communications Strategist
LOCATION: New York
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications
JOB STATUS: Full-Time; Exempt; Union
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Communications Strategist will work to develop content and implement strategies in social and traditional media to advance Human Rights First’s advocacy and branding objectives with a variety of audiences.
The Communication Strategist will develop and implement social media strategies; experience conceptualizing, creating and producing video and other multi-media projects for our website, social media, and events is a plus. This role will work with all members of the communications team as well as advocates and experts throughout the organization to develop stories and messages that align with the organization's goals.
Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with comms team and advocates to develop language and written elements to advance Human Rights First's branding and policy goals
- Strategize with team leaders to best present policy information, study findings, and advocacy in ways that support the HRF brand
- Write and produce media assets of all types: issue briefs, press releases, op-eds, blogs and web content, development and marketing materials
- Write emails, newsletters, petitions, and actions for supporter list using Quorum software
- Work across departments to coordinate press availabilities and events
- Polish press releases, reports, and other public facing documents emanating from other teams
- Other duties as requested based on organizational need
- Share oversight of digital properties
- Work with comms team and advocates to develop and implement social media strategy
- Draft and develop content for Human Rights First's social media and online accounts
- Help maintain calendar of social media opportunities
- Track and report on performance analytics of digital content
- Assist with the creation and implementation of marketing campaigns designed to increase and retain membership and donations, including print, radio, video, and online materials
- Source and create necessary still and animated elements for videos, events, and website
- Other duties as requested based on department and/or organizational need
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, international relations, or other related field preferred and 4+ years’ relevant professional experience
- Understanding of best practices in communications, media design, and issue advocacy
- Excellent writing and editing skills, good press judgement
- Ability to synthesize complex information in meaningful ways for distribution to a variety of audiences
- Strong storytelling skills and creative vision, with good instincts on crafting effective messaging
- Familiarity with Quorum, eCRM databases, and email platforms; basic familiarity with HTML and web editing, Canva, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 2 year’s work experience in video production a plus. Experience creating short videos from conception to delivery
- Experience creating short videos from conception to delivery
- Knowledge of best practices for creating compelling video content for digital and social media platforms
- Shooting skills, including basic lighting
- Proficiency in Adobe Production Suite (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, InDesign, Audition, OnLocation, Encore, Illustrator)
- Organized and creative thinker with ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, accept new challenges, and work successfully across organization lines and with a diverse team of colleagues
- Growth mindset, an ability to work independently, and a rigorous attention to detail
- Detail-orientation with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Interest in defending human rights in America and around the world
- Post-pandemic, some travel required
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply at https://www.humanrightsfirst.org/careers.
Resume and cover letter in PDF format.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.