Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
The Visual Arts Center of New Jersey is inviting applications for the position of Director of Development and Communications. Review of applicants will begin immediately, continuing until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, application materials should be submitted no later than May 25, 2021.
The Director of Development & Communications supervises a staff of 3 employees: Grants Coordinator, Communications Specialist, and Development Specialist. The Director of Development & Communications is responsible for all activities related to the organization's contributed income including individual contributions, public and private grants, corporate sponsorships, donor relations and stewardship, special event activities and the identification and solicitation of major corporate and individual gifts in order to reach annual and long-range fundraising goals. In addition, the Director of Development directs the development and implementation of the organization's communication strategy, including marketing studio school classes in a variety of marketing/PR vehicles such as online advertising and social media.
The Director of Development has the following specific responsibilities and duties, with additional duties assigned as necessary, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Public and Private Grants and Contributions
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, set fiscal year operating income goals with identified sources and implement an annual Development Plan to meet those goals.
- Supervise efforts in researching grant prospects, writing proposals, reporting to grantors and acknowledging all grants and corporate sponsorship contributions
- Manage grant compliance requirements
- Oversee the annual grants schedule
- Oversee the management of the database for all government and private foundations and corporation funders
- Oversee all printed materials to ensure that funding acknowledgements are listed properly
- Initiate list of grant possibilities and set up meetings with grant funders
- Oversee the annual updating of Donor Wall in the front foyer
- Develop and implement innovative fundraising solicitation programs and events to identify and solicit individual funders
Develop and implement a Strategic Long-Range Plan for future growth that includes plans for a Planned Giving Campaign
- Implement a Planned Stewardship Program that ensures continued goodwill between long-term and past individual patrons.
Special Events Fundraising
- Plan and supervise a special fundraising event annually
- Work with events chairpersons in the development of committee build-out and responsibilities
- In Collaboration with event committees, identify and solicit major corporate and individual donors for event sponsorships.
- Oversee the creating of event individual and corporate sponsorship packages for solicitations
- Oversee the planning and implementation of all logistical components pertaining to special event fundraisers
- Develop and manage event budget
- In collaboration with Communications Department, develop all printed materials for fundraisers including invitations, brochures, event journals, postcards, etc.
- Develop the November and May appeal solicitation letters and the timetable for distribution
- Oversee the management of the Annual Appeal letter
- Manage the tracking process and ensure the mailing of all acknowledgement letters
- Oversee the development and management of the individual donor data base
- Develop and manage membership levels
- Oversee the development and management of the individual membership database
- Oversee the development of membership brochures
Communications & Marketing
- Plan and develop the Art Center's marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal.
- Oversee development and implementation of support materials and services in the area of marketing, communications, and public relations.
- Oversee the creation, implementation and measurement of the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program supporting the Art Center's image in the marketplace including publications, media relations, social media, etc.
- Work with staff to develop short- and long-term plans and budget for the marketing/communications/public relations program and its activities, monitors progress, evaluates performance. Develops implements and monitors systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function.
- Develop and manage budgets for the Development & Communications Department
- Review and approve all department expenditures
- Meet all department income goals and keep expenses within budget
- Develop and implement an annual schedule of meetings with the Board Development Committee and all Development sub-committees. Meet with and regularly discuss and strategize on all Development Department initiatives, programs and events with the Chair of the Development Committee. Attend all Development Committee meetings
- Hire (when necessary), supervise and direct the efforts of the Development and Communications staff. Assess and appraise the performance of staff members in the Development and Marketing department
- Organize volunteers working with the Development Department
- Maintain a departmental climate that attracts, retains, and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Represent the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey to the highest professional standards with its various public groups (volunteers, artists, students, members, business and government agencies and art organizations) when necessary. Maintain a statewide presence for the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey by participation with other arts affiliated organizations when possible
- A Bachelor's degree is required, with a minimum of 5 years professional experience.
- Candidate must have non-profit development and marketing experience. A background in visual arts is a plus.
- Position requires excellent management, organization, and people skills, including budgeting and project management.
As part of VACNJ's commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion, we aim to amplify traditionally underrepresented voices. Applicants are encouraged to share if they identify with one or more historically marginalized groups (examples include but are not limited to Immigrant, Indigenous, International, LGBTQIA, Person of Color, Person with a Disability, Person of Size, Socioeconomic Disadvantage). Although not required in the application, VACNJ encourages applicants to share what diversity they would bring to the Art Center. VACNJ is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
$85,000-$94,000, depending on experience
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a statement of interest in joining the Art Center as Director of Development and Communications with a summary of their professional experience, a current resume, and names of five references with contact information. These documents may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.