WeHOPE helps vulnerable people thrive by giving them the support and tools to realize their full potential and lead healthy, stable lives. For more than 22 years, we have helped thousands of individuals and families develop the skills and abilities to improve their lives and build their own futures. We assist more than 1,000 people each year throughout San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties and beyond. The 21st century has brought unprecedented innovation and wealth to the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley. But it also places escalating stress on hardworking families and at-risk individuals, pushing more people to the margins of economic and personal instability. This was only magnified during the pandemic. WeHOPE chooses to rise above these barriers and continue to serve those who seek aid and shelter.
Highlights of our work in 2020 include:
- Dignity on Wheels 6th mobile hygiene unit hit the road with generous support of City of San Jose
- We launched HOPE Health Mobile – virtual medical assessments and personal recharge stations for individuals living in encampments.
- During COVID19 we increased the total number of individuals served by 40%
- We added four units to our Mobile Homeless Services Fleet
- We provided our 50,000th shower and 22,000th load of laundry
WeHOPE (“WH”) is searching for an experienced Development Director to help us achieve the goals and objectives of the organization outlined in our new strategic plan. The position will report to the President, and become part of a dynamic, grass roots development team tactically focused on advancing WH’s fundraising efforts. The development director will play a key role in advancing our efforts by further stewarding current donors toward investing in WH and bringing new supporters to help achieve our goals of building a vibrant and secure community. By assisting in the diversification of our revenue base, the development officer will play a key role in building a sustainable future for WeHOPE.
The new development director will work in tandem with the President and board of directors, establish a development team and key staff throughout the organization to help WeHOPE increase its annual revenue from $5 million to a projected sustainable budget of $10 million over the next three years. The position will be located in our East Palo Alto headquarters office.
- To expand and diversify WeHOPE’s contributed income from individual and institutional sources.
- To focus on 6- and 7-figure major gifts that will be the catalyst to transform WeHOPE’s next stage of growth.
- To develop strategic and effective systems for communicating our needs to our varied constituents.
- To enhance and improve the understanding of our mission to our supporters.
- To build upon board and staff knowledge, understanding and involvement with the development program.
- To develop opportunities for special gifts for current and potential donors.
- To continually upgrade development efforts through a process of review and evaluation with staff, board and members of the WeHOPE community.
The President and board of directors.
- Identify, solicit, cultivate, and steward new major donors
- Create, document and implement annual development plan and strategy
- Spearhead the planning and implementation of fundraising campaigns and events
- Develop donor-based grants, including prospecting, strategy, cultivation, writing, and application coordination
- Manages donor cultivation, stewardship and acknowledgement processes
- Develop evaluation plans, monitors and reports on new donor projects
- Supports pre- and early implementation activities for new donor projects
- Supervise part-time development associate and a social media specialist
A. Individual Giving Management – 40%
- Develop, oversee and evaluate individual giving campaigns, including direct mail, personal solicitation, phone solicitation efforts, and special events to meet annual goals.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors who are capable of transformational gifts.
- Create and manage a moves management system for major donors.
- Provide support for donor stewardship, and President and Board solicitation efforts.
- Design and oversee systems for identifying and tracking current donors and new prospects.
- Oversee maintenance of fundraising database (maintained by development associate) and ensure accurate and timely entry of data.
B. Grants Management - 25%
- Develop and maintain up to date list of opportunities from government, foundation, and corporate sources.
- Works with the President, Associate Director and project staff to identify funding requirements and develop grant strategies.
- Ensures alignment with funder/donor strategic priorities and WH’s needs,
- Oversees grant applications, including scope of work, data collection/evaluation methods, timeline, and budgets
- Coordinates assembly and delivery of grants.
- Develops and maintains WeHOPE grants report schedule.
- Works with grant project staff to develop reports; ensures timely report submission.
- Maintains electronic and hard copy grant filing systems.
C. Grant Project Initiation and Monitoring – 20%
- Supports alignment of new grant projects with key staff through work planning and other activities.
- Works with President, Associate Director and project staff to kick-off and coordinate new grants project implementation.
- Monitors grant implementation and regularly educates and updates project staff on grant expectations, timelines, reporting requirements and evaluation methodology.
- Ensures regular grant project status updates and outcomes measurement.
- Develops evaluation plans with President, Associate Director, program management, and other key stakeholders.
- Evaluates and improves upon Project WeHOPE project evaluation tools and processes.
- Works with the Administrative team and Finance to develop evaluation/impact reports for distribution to internal and external stakeholders.
D. General Agency Duties - 15%
- Serves on ad hoc committees as assigned by the President
- Fosters an environment and communicates effectively in a manner that promotes trust and cooperation among clients, staff, Board and community volunteers
- Maintains strictest confidentiality concerning all client and employee information
- Supports WH’s mission
- Complies with WH’s principles, policies and procedures
- Represents WH in a positive light to clients, the community, other agencies and organizations
D. Other duties as assigned/requested
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college university
- Minimum of 8 years development or equivalent experience
- Strong technical writing skills
- Detail oriented, proven ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Proficient in Office Suite applications, word processing, database management, and project planning
- Major Donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation experience required
- Grant development experience with foundation and/or government sources required
Salary Range $95,000-$110,000
- Formal training in program/project monitoring and evaluation
- Background in the field of public health and/or health care
- Strong phone skills
- Great people skills
How to Apply
Expressions of interest must be submitted to email@example.com NO LATER THAN May 31, 2021. All submissions MUST include a cover letter and current resume.
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential. WeHOPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.