Home is the foundation for everything in life. Since 1971, our model has been about supporting residents in finding stability and achieving their goals. It’s why we’re more than housing—we combine quality affordable homes with our on-site Advantage Services—because we believe that with the right support and opportunities, all people can thrive. Today, over 13,000 people—families, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities and other barriers—call a CommonBond community “home.” Our core values are Respect, Integrity, Partnership, Innovation, and Excellence. We live these values and look for people who embody them to represent our organization in the community. If this sounds like you, please consider joining our team.
CommonBond Communities invites qualified applicants to apply for the The Director of Development position at our Central Office. This position is responsible for planning and implementing development strategies to carry out the organization’s mission. They will personally focus on prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of 75 to 100 individuals capable of major, principle, and planned gifts. Further, the Director supervises other development professionals across major gifts, volunteer management, and events. This position is an important, visible leader in the community, responsible for effectively communicating the mission, vision, values and impact of CommonBond Communities.
Executive Vice President of Resource Development and Strategic Initiatives
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND ASSOCIATED TASKS
Plan, implement, and manage a comprehensive strategy for individual major giving.
- Develop an annual work plan, including specific fundraising goals for gift officer. Identify and qualify prospective individual donors.
- Conduct visits to qualify individual donors in matching the organizations needs and the individuals’ interests.
- Directly solicit individual gifts at the five and six figure level. Develop annual and planned giving proposals, agreements and other written correspondence and documentation as needed.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of all donor/prospect interactions in The Raiser’s Edge.
- Establish and build long term relationships built on a firm understanding of donors’ interests, passions and values, with the objective of increased giving over time.
- Provide direction to team members that are responsible for individual solicitations, events, and general appeals.
Plan, implement, and manage the annual giving fund
- Plan and implement annual fundraising including direct mail, e-appeals, online giving, stewardship communications and events, and donor acquisition.
- Collaborate with the Database Administrator to continuously improve database utilization.
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Communications to leverage digital communications tools in fundraising and brand promotion
- Work with other CommonBond departments to maximize donor engagement opportunities.
Provide leadership in areas across resource development
- Supervise the Development Associate in support of all department activities.
- Attend fundraising events cultivating relationships with individuals.
- Attend all cultivation and stewardship events.
- Work with Resource Development and other CommonBond staff to ensure communication, annual giving, funding need, initiatives and timelines are adhered to.
- Assist Resource Development leadership with donor strategies and special projects as requested.
- Participate fully in the planning and ongoing operations of the Resource Development department.
- Act as an ambassador of CommonBond both internally and externally.
Ensure CommonBond utilizes fundraising events to maximize support of the organization
- Supervise the Associate Director of Development
- Ensure the creation of an annual fundraising events plan that maximizes corporate and individual contributions and sponsorships
- Ensure collaboration with communications and branding efforts to maximize the promotion of CommonBond’s value proposition and increase awareness of mission impact
Ensure effective volunteer management initiative
- Supervise the Volunteer Manager
- Partner with Volunteer Manager on the creation and implementation of an individual volunteer engagement plan that addresses clearly defined organizational needs
- Collaborate with organizational leaders to ensure positive cross-departmental work towards shared goals
- Evaluate the volunteer base for prospective leadership annual gift donors and transition them to the appropriate individual giving work flow
- As appropriate, work with the volunteer manager, resource development team members, and other organizational leaders to facilitate group volunteer opportunities
- Bachelors Degree.
- Five+ years development/fundraising experience, preferably in individual giving.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate and solicit annual, leadership and planned gifts, manage a large portfolio and achieve aggressive fundraising goal.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, professional attitude, and a proven ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office programs and database management experience, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- High level of success working independently, as well as in a team setting.
- Knowledge of the Twin Cities philanthropic community, established relationships with donors a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and details simultaneously.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed.
How to Apply
Please visit us at https://commonbond.org/employment/ to view all of our available opportunities, or click on the link below to apply for our Director of Development role.