About Grounds For Sculpture
Nestled in the heart of central New Jersey lies Grounds For Sculpture (“GFS”), a magical place where art and nature are always at play. At its core are more than 270 sculptures by renowned and emerging contemporary artists, each thoughtfully positioned on meticulously landscaped parkland full of thousands of exotic trees and flowers. It is a feast for the senses.
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre sculpture garden, museum and arboretum with major exhibition, education, performance, restaurant and visitor amenities that make contemporary art accessible by showcasing it in beautiful settings that encourage discovery and learning. Its arboretum has more than 200 cultivars of trees, thousands of flowering shrubs, and settings grand and intimate, all to spotlight art and engage the visitor. GFS' performing arts events, educational programs, and family activities invite people to approach and interact with art on their terms, growing in knowledge, understanding, and joy. Last year Grounds For Sculpture attracted over 250,000 visitors.
Grounds For Sculpture is seeking a full time Development Associate to join the development team. Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Development Associate supports the daily operations of the Development Department through administrative, logistical, and strategic work.
Our ideal candidate will be a highly organized self-starter who is passionate about the arts, horticulture and GFS’s mission and strategic vision. You have a deep commitment to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion, as this is a key value for GFS and one of our priorities. You are a natural collaborator who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and are eager to learn as part of a small but experienced team, supporting and advancing GFS’s efforts to raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations. As the ideal candidate, you have administrative experience – especially working with a Development database – and understand the important and essential nature of this work, coupled with the drive to take on additional responsibilities as you grow with the department. You are confident working in a professional yet relatable manner with a variety of stakeholders, from Board members to major donors, to members and volunteers and the general public.
Grounds For Sculpture, Inc. adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
The Development Associate reports to the Chief Development Officer
- Responsible for effectively supporting a growing annual giving program and managing the accompanying database of donors, including but not limited to – gift entry, executing direct mail and e-appeals, segmenting of donors, reporting and analysis, list management, and donor management (ex: entry of relationships, plans, interactions and notes).
- Prepare timely gift acknowledgements and thank you letters.
- Manage and track various types of donations including recurring donations, in kind gifts, honor/memorial gifts and matching gifts.
- Will work closely with Director of Corporate and Foundation Engagement, particularly in relation to processing and acknowledging foundation and corporate donations, business memberships and related operational support. Additionally, assist with internal information gathering from GFS colleagues, grant research and prospecting.
- Identify areas for data clean up and streamlining in donor database management system.
- Work with Accounting team to assure appropriate tracking and accounting of gifts.
- Coordinate and manage VIP Opening receptions, and other donor/sponsorship cultivation events.
- Serve as an ambassador for Grounds For Sculpture to help foster a culture of inclusion for all members, donors, volunteers, and guests.
- Conduct research on prospects, including individuals identified by Development office and GFS Board members as potential sources of private funds.
- Coordinate with Marketing Department on ensuring Development activities are promoted and timelines managed appropriately.
- Prepare content for GFS promotional publications, and coordinate GFS’ Annual Year-End donor listing report for publishing on website, annual report and Newscasting newsletter.
- Attend Development Committee, providing support for the CDO in preparing agendas and taking minutes.
- Occasionally assist with Membership related tasks/activities as it relates to full Development department. For example, staffing of Member Lounge, provide support at Member events, etc.
- Organize quarterly highlights from the Development team to include in Board Report.
- Assist with Volunteer-related tasks as needed, in coordination with Manager of Volunteer Services
- Opportunity to manage a portfolio of low to mid-level annual fund donors.
- Perform general office duties, attend meetings; assist with appointments and calendars.
- Occasional weekend and evening work for scheduled events and meetings will be required.
- All other duties as assigned
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and possess excellent communication skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with donors, volunteers, Board, and colleagues.
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously and prioritize. Ability to meet deadlines and work with multiple managers and volunteer committees.
- Maintain poise and patience when dealing with the public, as well as with major and high-profile donors, and the ability to act with diplomacy and grace under pressure.
- Ability to engage in collaborative work with minimal direction; but understands when to ask for help or guidance.
- Solid analytical, creative, and problem-solving abilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, including excellent interpersonal, networking, and presentation skills.
- Must possess the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality.
- Minimum of 2 years working within a nonprofit fundraising environment or transferrable/relatable experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Strong database skills (Altru experience a plus)
- Knowledge of fundraising processes
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills; proficient in standard word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications
- Experience managing and implementing special events and programs
- Volunteer experience a plus
- Occasional weekends and evenings required
Salary Range: $45,000 - $50,000
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Life, LTD, ADD, FSA, 403b
How to Apply
Interested in applying? Please apply directly through our website and must include a cover letter: www.groundsforsculpture.org