SALARY: $25.00 P/H
FULL-TIME / TEMPORARY
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Harlem YMCA is seeking an experienced applicant who, under the supervision of the Program Director, will play a critical role in providing youth workforce development and developing project-based learning experiences. The Education Specialist will also be responsible for creating a workforce driven and safe environment for SYEP participants and to provide opportunities for project-based learning, interaction, and personal growth. The Education Specialist is also responsible for planning, organizing, and leading groups of assigned participants in a variety of youth workforce development projects to improve overall experience. The assignment is scheduled to begin on May 3, 2021 and will end on August 21, 2021.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Plan and implement project-based learning connected to civic engagement, youth leadership, with an emphasis on culinary skills and retail opportunities, for all participants ages 14 to 15.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress and academic records of designated participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Identify participants experiencing difficulty; provide encouragement and alternative explanations of subject material.
- Assist participants in developing self-confidence and self-efficacy.
- Work with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying by acknowledging student efforts as well as their progress and achievements.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School program to participants and care givers.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Associate’s degree in Education or a related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working in the field of youth development or youth workforce development and developing project-based learning experiences.
- Possess an understanding and knowledge of public school functions, Common Core, and specific knowledge in age-appropriate math and/or literacy curriculum.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Current CPR / First Aid certifications.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application, and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there's a Y, there’s a way.